FG has ordered South Africa to end Xenophobic attacks against Nigerians.
NewsOnline Nigeria reports that the Federal Government has called on South African authorities to take urgent measures to stop xenophobic and Afrophobic attacks targeting Nigerians and other African nationals living in the country.
It also demanded improved migration policies, responsible political leadership and stronger cooperation among African countries to prevent further attacks against migrants.
Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Sola Enikanolaiye, made the call on Tuesday during a virtual roundtable titled “South Africa’s Xenophobia in Comparative Perspective,” organised by the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs.
ALSO: Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service of the Federation
Enikanolaiye said Nigeria regarded the situation as a serious concern that must be addressed without denying the problem or exaggerating its scale. He argued that “Afrophobia” more accurately described the pattern of attacks.
The minister described the violence as having “a particularly African, post-colonial and post-apartheid character.”
He expressed concern that citizens of countries that supported South Africa during its struggle against apartheid were now being treated as unwanted outsiders.
Enikanolaiye disclosed that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had directed the NIIA to conduct a comprehensive study of Nigeria’s contributions to South Africa’s liberation struggle.
According to him, Nigeria committed more than $60 billion to the anti-apartheid campaign, nationalised British Petroleum, awarded scholarships and provided accommodation for South African leaders.
“The relationship between Nigeria and South Africa is not reducible to trade statistics or diplomatic communiqués. There is history in that relationship. There is blood, sacrifice and solidarity in that history,” he said.
The minister revealed that about 90 Nigerians had been killed in attacks since June 2022, adding that further violence and displacement were recorded in 2026.
He warned that continued attacks could damage South Africa’s international reputation, weaken investor confidence and undermine regional integration efforts.
Enikanolaiye urged South African authorities to improve the country’s migration system and ensure that immigration laws are enforced exclusively by authorised government agencies.
He also condemned vigilantism and advised political leaders to avoid inflammatory rhetoric, warning that portraying migrants as criminals or job thieves could incite violence.
The minister called for public conversations about migration to be based on credible evidence and reliable data rather than misinformation and unverified claims circulating on social media.
He further urged Nigeria and South Africa to fully activate their existing early-warning and rapid-response mechanisms to identify tensions and prevent them from escalating into violence.




















