ADVERTISEMENT
  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Friday, May 22, 2026
NewsOnline Nigeria
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
NewsOnline Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Home Top Stories

Court to Rule on Wike, FCTA Suit Seeking to Stop Abuja Workers’ Strike

Justice E.D. Subilim adjourned the matter after hearing arguments from counsel to all parties in the suit marked NICN/ABJ/17/2026.

by NewsOnline Nigeria
January 27, 2026
in Top Stories
0
Rivers Governorship Election

Court is set to rule on Wike and FCTA suit seeking to stop Abuja Workers’ Strike.

 

NewsOnline Nigeria reports that the National Industrial Court of Nigeria sitting in Abuja has fixed Tuesday for ruling on a suit filed by the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, and the FCT Administration against leaders of the Joint Union Action Committee (JUAC) over the ongoing strike by FCTA workers.

 

Justice E.D. Subilim adjourned the matter after hearing arguments from counsel to all parties in the suit marked NICN/ABJ/17/2026.

 

The claimants are seeking an interlocutory injunction restraining the JUAC Chairman, Rifkatu Iortyer, and Secretary, Abdullahi Umar Saleh, from embarking on any industrial action, picketing or lockout pending the determination of the substantive suit.

 

ALSO: DHQ to Arraign Indicted Military Officers Over Alleged Coup Plot Against Tinubu

 

The strike, which began last Monday after the expiration of a seven-day ultimatum, has disrupted activities across major FCTA offices in Abuja, including the FCTA Secretariat, where security operatives were deployed to restrict access.

 

Despite claims by FCTA management that most of the workers’ demands had been addressed, the union rejected the assertion, maintaining that key issues remained unresolved.

 

At Monday’s hearing, counsel to the workers’ union, Maxwell Opara, urged the court to dismiss the motion, arguing that granting the reliefs sought would amount to determining the substantive suit at the interlocutory stage. He cited the Supreme Court decision in Opara Agwu & Anor v. Julius Berger Plc, warning that compelling workers to resume duties while salaries remained unpaid could be dangerous.

 

Opara also called for arbitration and urged the court to compel the FCT minister to participate in mediation.

 

Justice Subilim subsequently adjourned the case until January 27 for ruling.

Speaking to journalists after the proceedings, counsel to the claimants, James Onoja (SAN), argued that the defendants lacked juristic personality, insisting that JUAC was not registered under the Trade Union Act or the Companies and Allied Matters Act.

 

“The people who called the strike are an illegal body. JUAC is not registered under the Trade Union Act, and because of that, they cannot call a strike. So, this strike is illegal,” Onoja said, adding that due process was not followed before the industrial action commenced.

 

In response, Opara said the union had written 11 letters to the minister seeking mediation, stressing that the dispute should have been resolved through alternative dispute resolution mechanisms rather than litigation.

 

He also explained that JUAC sought to join the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) as parties to the suit, noting that both labour centres had directed their affiliates to embark on a solidarity strike.

 

Workers picket court

Meanwhile, workers of the FCT Administration and the Federal Capital Development Agency, supported by the Nigeria Labour Congress, picketed the National Industrial Court ahead of Monday’s hearing, demanding the removal of the FCT minister.

 

The NLC described the strike as justified, accusing the FCTA management of wage abuse, intimidation of workers and failure to meet statutory obligations.

 

Protesters displayed placards with inscriptions such as “Wike must go!”, “Pay promotion arrears”, “Enough is enough”, “Pay us our pension now” and “Respect Civil Service rules”.

 

Other unions, including the Nigerian Union of Teachers, the National Association of Nigeria Nurses and Midwives, the National Union of Electricity Employees and the Nigeria Union of Journalists, FCT chapter, have also joined the strike action.

Previous Post

DHQ to Arraign Indicted Military Officers Over Alleged Coup Plot Against Tinubu

Next Post

Lagos Speaker Obasa Endorses Tinubu Re-election Support Group Ahead of 2027 Polls

Next Post
Lagos Speaker Obasa

Lagos Speaker Obasa Endorses Tinubu Re-election Support Group Ahead of 2027 Polls

Trending Stories

INEC 2027 Election Timetable

BREAKING: Court Nullifies INEC 2027 Election Timetable, Opens Fresh Hope for Disqualified Aspirants

Professor Segun Aina

BREAKING: Tinubu Appoints Professor Segun Aina as New JAMB Registrar

Rivers Governorship Election

Court to Rule on Wike, FCTA Suit Seeking to Stop Abuja Workers’ Strike

Fubara

BREAKING: Fubara Forced Out of Rivers APC Governorship Primary Amid Supremacy Battle With Wike

Caleb University Female Student Leaked Sextape Goes Viral, Sparks Social Media Frenzy (Watch Here)

Hamzat

BREAKING: Hamzat Wins APC Ikeja Ward B Primaries With 2,441 Votes

Labour Party

Labour Party Petitions IGP, DSS Over Illegal Sale of Party Nomination Forms by Julius Abure

Tiwa Savage Sex Tape

Tiwa Savage Sex Tape Resurfaces Online After US Interview (WATCH HERE)

Adewole Adebayo

BREAKING: Adewole Adebayo, 12 Others Expelled From Social Democratic Party (FULL LIST)

Balthazar Video Telegram

Balthazar Video Telegram: Watch All 400 Balthazar Engonga Sex Tapes Here

Latest Stories

INEC 2027 Election Timetable

BREAKING: Court Nullifies INEC 2027 Election Timetable, Opens Fresh Hope for Disqualified Aspirants

Cristiano Ronaldo, Al Nassr, Saudi Pro League, Ronaldo wins title, Al Nassr vs Damac, Saudi league champions, Cristiano Ronaldo goals, Al Hilal, Sadio Mane, Kingsley Coman

BREAKING: Cristiano Ronaldo Finally Wins Saudi Pro League with Al-Nassr

Hamzat

BREAKING: Hamzat Wins APC Ikeja Ward B Primaries With 2,441 Votes

Mascot Uzor Kalu

Mascot Uzor Kalu Withdraws From Abia APC Governorship Race Ahead of 2027 Elections

Labour Party

Labour Party Petitions IGP, DSS Over Illegal Sale of Party Nomination Forms by Julius Abure

Marketing Live 2026

Google Unveils Gemini-Powered AI Advertising, Commerce Tools at Marketing Live 2026

Kehinde Ogundare, Country Head, Zoho Nigeria

Beyond the vibe: Bridging Africa’s Build Divide with Intelligent Infrastructure

UTME Results

JAMB Releases 279 Previously Withheld UTME Results After Malpractice Investigation

Professor Segun Aina

BREAKING: Tinubu Appoints Professor Segun Aina as New JAMB Registrar

Hantavirus Update Today

Hantavirus Update Today — Latest Cases, Death Toll & Global Tracking

NewsOnline 2026

Get the Latest Naija News, Breaking News, Top Stories, World News, Business, Politics & Entertainment from NewsOnline Nigeria.

RELEVANT PAGES

  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

ALERT US

Important Press Releases, Special Investigations: admin@newsonlineng.com

OFFICE ADDRESS

13 Poland Street, London, United Kingdom (UK)

Copyright © 2026 NewsOnline Nigeria

No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports

Copyright © 2023 Newsonline Nigeria