Nigerian newspaper headlines and Naija news today, Sunday 22nd May 2022, can be accessed below.
Newsonline has compiled top Naija news headlines from Nigerian newspapers today, this means the latest Naija news, top newspaper headlines and happenings in Nigeria can be accessed on this page.
Below are the Newspaper headlines & Naija news today from Nigerian newspapers.
Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. Nobel laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka, on Saturday called for the sacking of the Imam, National Mosque, Abuja, Professor Ibrahim Maqari, over a comment on the killing of Deborah Samuel. Mr Maqari had while reacting to the killing, allegedly supported the incident saying Muslims have some red lines that must not be crossed.
2. President Muhammadu Buhari has not signed the Electoral Act Amendment Bill transmitted to him by the National Assembly, sources in the Presidency have confirmed. Reports earlier emerged yesterday that the president has signed the bill.
3. Okechukwu Okoye, a lawmaker representing Aguata Constituency 2 at the Anambra State House of Assembly, has been beheaded. Okoye, who hailed from Isuofia, Governor Charles Soludo’s community, was kidnapped in Aguata on Sunday.
4. Four persons have been confirmed dead while five persons sustained injuries after a building on Alayaki Lane, Lagos Island collapsed. The Lagos Territorial Head of the National Emergency Management Agency, Ibrahim Farinloye, gave the update on the incident in the early hours of Sunday.
5. The Catholic Diocese of Gboko in Benue State has announced the suspension of Reverend Father, Hyacinth Alia, for expressing interest in the governorship contest of the state. Alia is among the 12 governorship aspirants who purchased expression of interest and nomination forms of the All Progressives Congress (APC) to participate in the party’s primary election.
6. The Police yesterday, moved in to prevent a full-blown crisis in Bauchi State over alleged blasphemy. The crisis had erupted in the Warji Local Government Area of the state after some youths reportedly launched a manhunt for Rhoda Jatau, a lady who allegedly committed blasphemy.
7. The students of Kaduna State College of Education (KSCOE), Gidan Waya, who were abducted three days ago, have regained freedom. The students – Racheal Edwin, Esther Ishaya, Promise Tanimu, and Beauty Luka, who were abducted in the Jemaá Local Government Area of the state were freed yesterday.
8. Governor of Anambra state, Prof Chukwuma Charles Soludo, has placed a bounty of N10 million reward for anyone that has valuable information to lead to the immediate arrest of the perpetrators of Hon. Okechukwu Okoye’s death. The Governor expressed shock and deep sadness over the gruesome murder of Hon. Okechukwu Okoye, member representing Aguata II Constituency at the State House of Assembly.
9. Ahead of today’s protest over the killing of Deborah Emmanuel Yakubu, the National President of the Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Dr Samson Ayokunle has instructed Christians in the country to be discreet in carrying out the protest in view of a threat by an unknown Islamic body to do a counter-protest.
10. Gunmen have abducted a farmer based in Ukpor, Nnewi South Local Government Area of Anambra State. The reason for the abduction of the victim, identified as Chukwujekwu Uzozie, was unknown at press time.