ADVERTISEMENT
  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Monday, August 17, 2026
NewsOnline Nigeria
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
NewsOnline Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
ADVERTISEMENT
Home Crime Watch

Court Orders Buhari Government To Account For $460m Chinese Loan

The suit followed the disclosure in 2019 by the Minister of Finance, Zainab Ahmed, that “Nigeria was servicing the loan”, adding that she had ‘no explanations on the status of the project.

by NewsOnline Nigeria
May 21, 2023
in Crime Watch, Headline
0
Buhari Government

Court has ordered Buhari Government to account for a $460m Chinese Loan.

 

NewsOnline reports that a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja has ordered the government of President Muhammadu Buhari to “account for the spending of $460 million Chinese loan to fund the failed Abuja Closed-Circuit Television (CCTV) project.”

 

This online newspaper understands that the court also ordered the present government to “publish the total amount of money paid to Chinese and local companies and contractors and specific details of the names of the companies and contractors and status of the implementation of the project.”

 

ALSO: Meet Patience Ozokwor, AMVCA9 Winner of Industry Merit Awards

 

Hon. Justice Emeka Nwite made the order last week while delivering judgment in a Freedom of Information suit number: FHC/ABJ/CS/1447/2019 brought by Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP).

 

The suit followed the disclosure in 2019 by the Minister of Finance, Zainab Ahmed, that “Nigeria was servicing the loan”, adding that she had ‘no explanations on the status of the project.

 

She reportedly said, “We are servicing the loan. I have no information on the status of the CCTV project.”

 

In his judgment, Nwite agreed with SERAP that “there is a reasonable cause of action against the government. Accounting for the spending of the $460 million Chinese loan is in the interest of the public. It will be inimical for the Court to refuse SERAP’s application for judicial review of the government’s action.”

 

He also said that “The Minister of Finance is in charge of the finance of the country and cannot by any stretch of imagination be oblivious of the amount of money paid to the contractors for the Abuja CCTV contract and the money meant for the construction of the headquarters of the Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB).”

 

Justice Nwite also ordered the government “to provide the details clarifying whether the sum of N1.5 billion Naira paid for the failed contract meant to construct the headquarters of the Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) was part of another loan obtained from China.”

 

Justice Nwite’s judgment read in part: “SERAP’s core objectives are to promote human rights, transparency and accountability and anti-corruption in Nigeria.

 

“I am of the humble view that there is a reasonable cause of action against the government [through the Minister of Finance] and I so hold that SERAP has made out a case to be entitled to the reliefs sought

 

“The law is well settled that where a document or letter is sent by post, it is the law that the same is taken or presumed to have been delivered.”

Previous Post

Ganduje Fumes In Leaked Audio Over Tinubu’s Romance With Kwankwaso

Next Post

Tinubu, Sanwoolu, Wike, Fubura, Okowa, Sheriff, Others Will Fall Apart– Primate Ayodele

Next Post
Primate Ayodele

Tinubu, Sanwoolu, Wike, Fubura, Okowa, Sheriff, Others Will Fall Apart– Primate Ayodele

Trending Stories

Buhari Government

Court Orders Buhari Government To Account For $460m Chinese Loan

2026 Osun Governorship Election

BREAKING: INEC Declares Adeleke Winner Of Osun Governorship Election

Adeleke

BREAKING: Adeleke Coasts To Victory In Osun Governorship Election (Live Results)

Osun Governorship Election Results

Osun Governorship Election 2026 Live Updates, Polling Unit Results and Latest News

Baltasar Engonga Wife Video Knacking Another Man

Watch Full Baltasar Engonga Wife Video Knacking Another Man [#BaltasarEngonga]

Sex Tape

President 50-Year Old Daughter’s Sex Tape Breaks The Internet (WATCH HERE)

Ademola Adeleke Biography

Ademola Adeleke Biography, Age, Wife, Children, Net Worth, Controversy

Notti Osama Video Footage

WATCH Notti Osama Video Footage Of Death On Tiktok, Twitter, & Reddit

Balthazar Video Telegram

Direct Link To Watch All Baltasar Engonga 400 Videos With Government Officials Wives

Ifunanya Lawyer Leaked Video

Ifunanya Lawyer Leaked Video Goes Viral On Twitter, Reddit, Instagram, Youtube

Latest Stories

2026 Osun Governorship Election

How Adeleke Defeated APC Federal Might to Win 2026 Osun Governorship Election

2026 Osun Governorship Election

BREAKING: INEC Declares Adeleke Winner Of Osun Governorship Election

Adeleke

BREAKING: Adeleke Coasts To Victory In Osun Governorship Election (Live Results)

Osun Election Results

Osun Election Results 2026: Live Updates From 30 Local Government Areas

Osun Governorship Election Results

BREAKING: INEC Uploads 37% of Osun Governorship Election Results to IReV

Adeleke

Adeleke Demands Release of Osun PDP Chairman Sunday Bisi

Osun Governorship Election Results

Osun Election Results 2026: Live Polling Unit Updates as Vote Counting Begins

Governor Ademola Adeleke

BREAKING: Ademola Adeleke Coasts To Victory in Osun Governorship Election

Lesson360 Founder Ekweoba Arnold Chukwuebuka

Lesson360 Founder Ekweoba Arnold Chukwuebuka Receives 2026 Nelson Mandela Impact Makers Award

Osun Governorship Election Results

Osun Governorship Election 2026 Live Updates, Polling Unit Results and Latest News

NewsOnline 2026

Get the Latest Naija News, Breaking News, Top Stories, World News, Business, Politics & Entertainment from NewsOnline Nigeria.

RELEVANT PAGES

  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

ALERT US

Important Press Releases, Special Investigations: admin@newsonlineng.com

OFFICE ADDRESS

13 Poland Street, London, United Kingdom (UK)

Copyright © 2026 NewsOnline Nigeria

No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports

Copyright © 2023 Newsonline Nigeria