ADVERTISEMENT
  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Saturday, August 22, 2026
NewsOnline Nigeria
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
NewsOnline Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
ADVERTISEMENT
Home Crime Watch

BREAKING: EFCC Withdraws Appeal Against Embattled Yahaya Bello

EFCC said the notice of withdrawal is predicated on the fact that the application filed has been overtaken by the decision of the Kogi State High Court.

by NewsOnline Nigeria
April 24, 2024
in Crime Watch, Headline
0
Yahaya Bello

Yahaya Bello

EFCC has withdrawn its appeal against embattled ex-Kogi Governor, Yahaya Bello.

 

NewsOnline Nigeria reports that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has withdrawn its application at the Court of Appeal against the embattled former Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello.

This Nigeria news platform gathered that EFCC said the notice of withdrawal is predicated on the fact that the application filed has been overtaken by the decision of the Kogi State High Court.

This was made known in a court application filed on Tuesday at the Court of Appeal Abuja judicial division by J. S. Okutepa, SAN and others on behalf of thCommissionon.

 

ALSO: President Tinubu Government Revokes 924 Mining Licenses (FULL LIST)

 

The Commissionon said the subject of the appeal had been determined by the Kogi High Court Judge, Justice Jamil J., on April 17, 2024.

 

The EFCC, therefore, told the court that the notice of appeal was filed out of time and now prays that the appeal be struck out as incompetent.

 

It said: “The appellant herein intends to and do hereby wholly withdraw her appeal against the respondent in the above-mentioned appeal.

 

“This notice of withdrawal is predicated on the fact that; on April 17, 2024, the application filed by the appellant herein was overtaken by the decision of the same high court of Kogi state.

 

“The orders made ex parte by Jamil on Feb 9, 2024, in the said suit which is the subject of this appeal, was made to last pending the hearing and determination of the originating motion on notice which was finally determined by Jamil J. on April 17, 2024.

 

“Furthermore, the notice of appeal was filed out of time and we, therefore, pray that the appeal be struck out for being filed out of time and incompetent.”

 

On February 8th, Bello instituted a fundamental rights enforcement suit, asking the court to declare that “the incessant harassment, threats of arrest and detention, negative press releases, malicious prosecution” of the EFCC — “without any formal invitation — is politically motivated and interference with his right to liberty, freedom of movement, and fair hearing”.

 

The former governor also sought an order “restraining the respondent by themselves, their agents, servants or privies from continuing to harass, threaten to arrest or detain him”.

 

On February 9, the Kogi High Court granted an interim injunction restraining the EFCC from “continuing to harass, threaten to arrest, detain, prosecute Bello, his former appointees, and his staff or family members, pending the hearing and determination of the substantive originating motion for the enforcement of his fundamental rights”.

 

On March 12, the EFCC filed an appeal against the interim injunction because the court could not stop the commission from carrying out its statutory responsibility.

 

The Kogi High Court delivered judgment on the substantive motion on notice on April 17. The presiding judge, Isa Jamil Abdullahi, granted an order restraining the EFCC “from continuing to harass, threaten to arrest or detain Bello.”

However, the judge directed the commission to file a charge against Bello before an appropriate court if it had reasons to do so.

Previous Post

Apply For First Batch of the Newly Launched Consumer Credit Scheme – credicorp.ng

Next Post

Another Wike Loyalist Turns Down Redeployment, Leaves Fubara’s Cabinet

Next Post
Governor Fubara

Another Wike Loyalist Turns Down Redeployment, Leaves Fubara's Cabinet

Trending Stories

Yahaya Bello

BREAKING: EFCC Withdraws Appeal Against Embattled Yahaya Bello

Women with Larger Breasts

Study Links Hunger, Financial Insecurity to Men’s Preference for Women with Larger Breasts

Plaude Scam

Zacuten Raises Alarm Over Alleged $4.2m Plaude Scam, Other Multi-Million-Dollar Fraud

Baltasar Engonga Wife Video Knacking Another Man

Watch Full Baltasar Engonga Wife Video Knacking Another Man [#BaltasarEngonga]

Northern Senators

Northern Senators Demand State Police After Adamawa, Sokoto Attacks

Tinubu Records Case

Tinubu Records Case: US Court Allows Private FBI Review, Sets August 28 Deadline

IKEDC

Blackout: Lagos Residents Cry Out as IKEDC Areas Remain Without Power for Days

Tinubu

BREAKING: Tinubu Suspends Three Permanent Secretaries Over ‘Fake’ Agency in SGF Office

Plaude’s $13.07m Dispute

Inside Plaude’s $13.07m Dispute: Zacuten Claims $4.2m Unpaid as Fraud Concerns Mount

ICPC

BREAKING: ICPC Uncovers Another ‘Fake’ Agency Inside SGF Office

Latest Stories

Tinubu

BREAKING: Tinubu Suspends Three Permanent Secretaries Over ‘Fake’ Agency in SGF Office

Tinubu Records Case

Tinubu Records Case: US Court Allows Private FBI Review, Sets August 28 Deadline

Northern Senators

Northern Senators Demand State Police After Adamawa, Sokoto Attacks

ICPC

BREAKING: ICPC Uncovers Another ‘Fake’ Agency Inside SGF Office

Plaude’s $13.07m Dispute

Inside Plaude’s $13.07m Dispute: Zacuten Claims $4.2m Unpaid as Fraud Concerns Mount

Plaude Scam

Zacuten Raises Alarm Over Alleged $4.2m Plaude Scam, Other Multi-Million-Dollar Fraud

Women with Larger Breasts

Study Links Hunger, Financial Insecurity to Men’s Preference for Women with Larger Breasts

House of Reps Aspirant Olalekan Shogbesan

US-Based Jeweller Accuses House of Reps Aspirant Olalekan Shogbesan of Owing $5,200

Brookfield CEO Olatunji Adebola

EFCC Arraigns Brookfield CEO Olatunji Adebola Over Alleged ₦990m Forex Fraud

IKEDC

Blackout: Lagos Residents Cry Out as IKEDC Areas Remain Without Power for Days

NewsOnline 2026

Get the Latest Naija News, Breaking News, Top Stories, World News, Business, Politics & Entertainment from NewsOnline Nigeria.

RELEVANT PAGES

  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

ALERT US

Important Press Releases, Special Investigations: admin@newsonlineng.com

OFFICE ADDRESS

13 Poland Street, London, United Kingdom (UK)

Copyright © 2026 NewsOnline Nigeria

No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports

Copyright © 2023 Newsonline Nigeria