ADVERTISEMENT
  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Thursday, August 20, 2026
NewsOnline Nigeria
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
NewsOnline Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
ADVERTISEMENT
Home News

NRC Evacuates 300 Stranded Passengers Of Derailed Warri-Itakpe Train

by NewsOnline Nigeria
January 23, 2023
in News
0
300 Stranded Passengers

NRC has evacuated the 300 Stranded Passengers in the bush when the Warri-Itakpe train derailed.

 

NewsOnline reports that the passengers stranded in a forest at Itakpe, Kogi State, when the beleaguered Warri-Itakpe train derailed, have been evacuated by the railway station staff members with a cab.

Recall that the train plying the Warri-Itakpe route derailed, on Sunday, leaving nothing more than 300  passengers stranded.

According to sources in the train, the incident happened inside Kogi forest, with many of the passengers said to have abandoned the train for fear of being taken hostage.

 

It was gathered that the train which left Warri early yesterday morning, derailed at about 12:noon inside the thick forest between Ajaokuta and Itakpe.

READ ALSO: Scores Kidnapped, Many Injured As Herdsmen Attack Train Station

The Delta and Kogi State police commands could not immediately confirm the incident but the Manager, Warri/Itakpe railway, told our correspondent he was just on his way to the scene and would give the details later.

 

According to a staff of the Nigerian Railway Corporation at the Itakpe Station, the incident took place at about 20 km from the destination of the train.

The source also said some of the NRC workers got vehicles that evacuated the passengers from the forest where the incident took place.

“The place is not far from the last bus stop, so some of our staff members called a cab from the station at Itakpe to evacuate all of them.  It’s not far, just 20km from the incident scene. Nobody was injured,” he said.

 

While stating why the train derailed, he said: “We can’t assess the cause now. Our engineer went there to check, just that the locomotive dropped from the track.”

Efforts to reach the Director General of Nigerian Railway Corporation, NRC, proved abortive as he did take calls or reply to text messages sent by our correspondent at press time.

Reacting to the derailment yesterday, the coordinator of the Warri Itakpe Train Service, Mr. Sanni Abdulganiyu,  in a statement said thankfully there were no fatalities nor casualties as a result of the derailment.

 

Abdulganiyu said the corporation was immediately alerted and security personnel was immediately drafted to the accident scene.

“The personnel comprised the Army, Police, NSCDC, and the community vigilante with the assistance of the local government chairman.

“All the 148 passengers and 30 crew members were evacuated to a safe place and arrangements were made to convey the passengers to their various destinations.  And the passengers have been successfully conveyed.

On the cause of the derailment, the coordinator said it was yet to be determined.

Abdulganiyu said due to the incident, the service along the corridor had been suspended and further details would be communicated to members of the public.

According to him, repair and operation will resume as soon as possible.

Previous Post

APC Reacts To Yahaya Bello’s Withdrawal Of Support From Tinubu

Next Post

Black Market Dollar To Naira Exchange Rate Today 23 January 2023

Next Post
Naira

Black Market Dollar To Naira Exchange Rate Today 23 January 2023

Trending Stories

300 Stranded Passengers

NRC Evacuates 300 Stranded Passengers Of Derailed Warri-Itakpe Train

Ann Mbene, founder and weight loss consultant at HueBeautyGlam

Ann Mbene On Breaking The Weight Loss Stigma in Nigeria

Canada

Canada Invites 1,000 Express Entry Candidates to Apply for Permanent Residence

Baltasar Engonga Wife Video Knacking Another Man

Watch Full Baltasar Engonga Wife Video Knacking Another Man [#BaltasarEngonga]

Abel Enitan

BREAKING: Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service of the Federation

Onaiyekan

Onaiyekan Defies Presidency, Says ‘I’m Not Afraid of Anybody’ Over Tinubu Meeting Remarks

FG ₦50m Loan to Build

How To Apply For FG ₦50m Loan to Build, Buy House at 6% Interest

NELFUND Student Loans

Tinubu Directs EFCC Recoveries, Unclaimed Dividends to Fund NELFUND Student Loans

Osasikemwen Ighile

Five Practical Holiday Saving Habits for Nigerian Households By Osasikemwen Ighile

South Africa

BREAKING: FG Orders South Africa to End Xenophobic Attacks Against Nigerians

Latest Stories

Plaude Technologies

Court Orders Forfeiture of Accounts Linked to Alleged ₦8.59bn Plaude Technologies Fraud

FCMB Access Credentials Deal

EFCC Arraigns Two Over Alleged $15,000 FCMB Access Credentials Deal

NELFUND Student Loans

Tinubu Directs EFCC Recoveries, Unclaimed Dividends to Fund NELFUND Student Loans

Onaiyekan

Onaiyekan Defies Presidency, Says ‘I’m Not Afraid of Anybody’ Over Tinubu Meeting Remarks

Canada

Canada Invites 1,000 Express Entry Candidates to Apply for Permanent Residence

South Africa

BREAKING: FG Orders South Africa to End Xenophobic Attacks Against Nigerians

Abel Enitan

BREAKING: Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service of the Federation

Osasikemwen Ighile

Five Practical Holiday Saving Habits for Nigerian Households By Osasikemwen Ighile

Ann Mbene, founder and weight loss consultant at HueBeautyGlam

Ann Mbene On Breaking The Weight Loss Stigma in Nigeria

Zenith Bank

Zenith Bank Hosts 10th Non-Oil Export Seminar August 25, Unveils Global Speakers

NewsOnline 2026

Get the Latest Naija News, Breaking News, Top Stories, World News, Business, Politics & Entertainment from NewsOnline Nigeria.

RELEVANT PAGES

  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

ALERT US

Important Press Releases, Special Investigations: admin@newsonlineng.com

OFFICE ADDRESS

13 Poland Street, London, United Kingdom (UK)

Copyright © 2026 NewsOnline Nigeria

No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports

Copyright © 2023 Newsonline Nigeria