ADVERTISEMENT
  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Saturday, August 22, 2026
NewsOnline Nigeria
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
NewsOnline Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
ADVERTISEMENT
Home Crime Watch

Ozekhome Seeks EFCC Staff Probe Over Yahaya Bello’s Case Media Trial

He advised the Chairman of the EFCC, Ola Olukoyede, to investigate his officers immediately over the incident and hold them accountable for allegedly embarrassing the EFCC.

by NewsOnline Nigeria
September 21, 2024
in Crime Watch, Top Stories
0
Yahaya Bello

Ozekhome has sought EFCC Staff probe over Yahaya Bello’s case media trial.

 

NewsOnline Nigeria reports that Senior Advocate of Nigeria Mike Ozekhome has advised the leadership of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to stop the alleged “media trial” of former Kogi State governor Yahaya Bello following his reported visit to its facility on Wednesday.

 

He shared his views in a statement made available to NewsOnline Nigeria on September 20, 2024, maintaining that the EFCC staff’s claim that it is still looking for Bello with a view to arraigning him next Thursday, despite his reported visit, is “sensational” and “unprofessional.”

 

Recall that Ohiare Michael, Director of the Yahaya Bello media office, stated that the ex-governor reportedly visited the EFCC amid the N80.2 billion fraud case instituted against him.

 

ALSO: President Tinubu’s Minister, Matawalle Under Fire Over Links With Bandits

 

However, the EFCC later stated that the former governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello, remains “wanted” over the N80.2 billion fraud case against him.

Counter Statements 

The EFCC, in a statement on September 18, 2024, said that media reports claiming Bello “is in the holding facility of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) are incorrect.”

While the EFCC did not clarify whether the former governor visited its facility, it added that “Bello, already declared wanted by the Commission for alleged N80.2 billion money laundering charges, remains wanted with a subsisting warrant for his arrest.”

Yahaya Adoza Bello and others were accused of conspiring in February 2016 to convert N80,246,470,088.88, which was allegedly obtained through a criminal breach of trust, in violation of Section 18(a) and punishable under Section 15(3) of the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act, 2011, as amended.

Michael issued a second statement on Wednesday, maintaining that his principal visited the facility but was turned away and not interrogated over the alleged offenses.

What Ozekhome Is Saying 

Reacting to the development, the senior lawyer noted that it is widely reported online and in traditional media that Bello, accompanied by his successor, Governor Usman Ododo,  submitted himself to the EFCC headquarters and waited to be interviewed.

He advised the Chairman of the EFCC, Ola Olukoyede, to investigate his officers immediately over the incident and hold them accountable for allegedly embarrassing the EFCC.

He also urged Yahaya Bello to go to court and defend himself against the allegations, whether they were malicious, false, or well-founded.

However, he warned against media trials by security agencies, regardless of the alleged offences they are prosecuting.

He said, “Pictures showed that he (Bello) even met physically with the Chief of Staff to the EFCC Chairman, Mr. Michael Nzekwe (a senior lawyer and experienced investigator), but was told to go home; only for the same EFCC to lay siege much later on the Kogi State government lodge in Abuja, allegedly seeking to arrest the same Bello who had earlier in the day voluntarily submitted himself for interrogation. It just does not add up. And it just does not make sense to me at all. 

“But the EFCC should also allow Bello to have his day in court like other Nigerian citizens, under a conducive atmosphere devoid of media trials, harassment, and intimidation, to ensure a fair trial. 

“After all, the Nigerian criminal justice system follows the accusatorial Anglo-Saxon model (where a citizen’s innocence is presumed), as opposed to the inquisitorial French model (where guilt is presumed). This presumption of innocence is entrenched in Section 36 of the 1999 Constitution. 

“A media trial, such as we have witnessed since April this year, violently detracts from fair trial principles, as it tarnishes an otherwise innocent accused person with an already guilty paintbrush of shame, odium, obloquy, derision, and dehumanization even before he has been arraigned, tried, and found guilty by a court of competent jurisdiction. It should never be.” 

What you should know: Recall that the Federal High Court in Abuja had refused to suspend the fraud case instituted against the former governor after more than four proceedings in which the ex-governor was absent due to a legal dispute put forward by his legal team.

The ex-governor has denied the charges. 

The anti-graft agency also obtained a bench warrant from the Federal High Court in Abuja against the former governor regarding its criminal charges following his non-appearance.

Bello’s legal team appealed, but the trial court has maintained that the criminal case must continue in line with court rules.

However, separate sittings of the Appeal Court stayed the execution of all proceedings in the suits filed at the Kogi State High Court by Bello and also ordered him to stand trial at the Abuja High Court.

The EFCC and other security agencies had declared Bello wanted, citing their inability to track his whereabouts or arrest him.

The EFCC accused the Kogi State government of using its “immunity” to shield Bello.

Previous Post

BREAKING: President Tinubu’s Minister, Matawalle Under Fire Over Links With Bandits

Next Post

BREAKING: FG Promotes 49 FRSC Officers ( FULL LIST)

Next Post
Meta, Google, X, AI Platforms

BREAKING: FG Promotes 49 FRSC Officers ( FULL LIST)

Trending Stories

Yahaya Bello

Ozekhome Seeks EFCC Staff Probe Over Yahaya Bello’s Case Media Trial

Women with Larger Breasts

Study Links Hunger, Financial Insecurity to Men’s Preference for Women with Larger Breasts

Baltasar Engonga Wife Video Knacking Another Man

Watch Full Baltasar Engonga Wife Video Knacking Another Man [#BaltasarEngonga]

IKEDC

Blackout: Lagos Residents Cry Out as IKEDC Areas Remain Without Power for Days

Plaude Scam

Zacuten Raises Alarm Over Alleged $4.2m Plaude Scam, Other Multi-Million-Dollar Fraud

Tinubu

BREAKING: Tinubu Suspends Three Permanent Secretaries Over ‘Fake’ Agency in SGF Office

Tinubu Records Case

Tinubu Records Case: US Court Allows Private FBI Review, Sets August 28 Deadline

ICPC

BREAKING: ICPC Uncovers Another ‘Fake’ Agency Inside SGF Office

Plaude’s $13.07m Dispute

Inside Plaude’s $13.07m Dispute: Zacuten Claims $4.2m Unpaid as Fraud Concerns Mount

Northern Senators

Northern Senators Demand State Police After Adamawa, Sokoto Attacks

Latest Stories

Tinubu

BREAKING: Tinubu Suspends Three Permanent Secretaries Over ‘Fake’ Agency in SGF Office

Tinubu Records Case

Tinubu Records Case: US Court Allows Private FBI Review, Sets August 28 Deadline

Northern Senators

Northern Senators Demand State Police After Adamawa, Sokoto Attacks

ICPC

BREAKING: ICPC Uncovers Another ‘Fake’ Agency Inside SGF Office

Plaude’s $13.07m Dispute

Inside Plaude’s $13.07m Dispute: Zacuten Claims $4.2m Unpaid as Fraud Concerns Mount

Plaude Scam

Zacuten Raises Alarm Over Alleged $4.2m Plaude Scam, Other Multi-Million-Dollar Fraud

Women with Larger Breasts

Study Links Hunger, Financial Insecurity to Men’s Preference for Women with Larger Breasts

House of Reps Aspirant Olalekan Shogbesan

US-Based Jeweller Accuses House of Reps Aspirant Olalekan Shogbesan of Owing $5,200

Brookfield CEO Olatunji Adebola

EFCC Arraigns Brookfield CEO Olatunji Adebola Over Alleged ₦990m Forex Fraud

IKEDC

Blackout: Lagos Residents Cry Out as IKEDC Areas Remain Without Power for Days

NewsOnline 2026

Get the Latest Naija News, Breaking News, Top Stories, World News, Business, Politics & Entertainment from NewsOnline Nigeria.

RELEVANT PAGES

  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

ALERT US

Important Press Releases, Special Investigations: admin@newsonlineng.com

OFFICE ADDRESS

13 Poland Street, London, United Kingdom (UK)

Copyright © 2026 NewsOnline Nigeria

No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports

Copyright © 2023 Newsonline Nigeria