• About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Friday, February 20, 2026
NewsOnline Nigeria
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
NewsOnline Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Home Crime Watch

Governor Sanwo-Olu Orders Demolition Of Three Buildings On Banana Island

Sanwo-Olu gave the order on Saturday during his visit to the site of the collapsed seven-story building and inspection of other infrastructure around the Island.

by NewsOnline Nigeria
April 22, 2023
in Crime Watch, Headline
0
Governor Sanwo-Olu

Governor Sanwo-Olu has ordered the demolition of three (3) buildings on Banana Island, Lagos.

 

NewsOnline reports that the Governor of Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has ordered the demolition of three two-story buildings in Banana Island following the collapse of a seven-story building in the area.

 

Sanwo-Olu gave the order on Saturday during his visit to the site of the collapsed seven-story building and inspection of other infrastructure around the Island.

 

ALSO: FG Begins Payment Of 40% Salary Increase Arrears To Civil Servants

 

At 310 Close, he ordered the demolition of the two-story building because it was an illegal structure, without approval.

 

Also at 306 Close, the governor ordered the removal of two-storey buildings adjacent to each other because they were constructed under the powerline and under water.

 

While speaking at the site of the collapsed seven-storey building, he blamed the unfortunate incident on the irresponsibility of the developers and some of the citizens that just wanted to make quick money.

 

Sanwo-Olu also blamed the Federal Ministry of Works and Housing and National Inland Waterways Authority, for allegedly granting extension of the line of Banana Island.

 

According to him, the incident shows that the Lagos State building officers are not alive to their responsibilities, and officers found culpable will also be sanctioned.

“We are at the site of the last unfortunate building collapse in Banana Island Lagos. Like it has been reported before now, there has been a lot of investigation that is going on right now and you can see that they are still clearing the rubbles at the site.

 

“We have given an order to stop work, not only at this site but also in all of the construction sites in Banana Island.

 

“I think that the exercise we are doing today is not really just about this location. You have all seen the extent of what I will call unapproved extension into the water, at the back of each of the land that is abutting water.

 

“You can see that the original line for Banana Island is even not where we are. It’s way in front there and you can see that there are several extensions that have been granted by both the Federal Ministry of Works and Housing and NIWA.

 

“These are the two federal agencies that have been culpable for those extensions.

“From what I have been told all of the four buildings at the back have never even applied for approvals. The illegality is real and so that is why we are going round other properties in Banana Island.

 

“Excuses have been given that they don’t have access and this is not acceptable. This is a total recklessness of all of the developers and we will make a strong point out of this place and all-around Banana Island and in other developments that we have,” he said.

 

The governor said that an external seven-member committee had been set up with two weeks mandate to independently ascertain what had gone wrong.

 

He said that the outcome of the committee would further strengthen the government to be able to come up with a robust work plan that could be enforced going forward.

 

“We have had to change staff here and there so that we can bring forward robust and very strong monitoring offices. But we believe that we are still far from it, we are still short on it, I must say.

‘“We will continue to do what we need to do to ensure that we keep the lives of our residents safe at all times,” Sanwo-Olu said.

Previous Post

BREAKING: FG Begins Payment Of 40% Salary Increase Arrears To Civil Servants

Next Post

Black Market Dollar To Naira Exchange Rate For 23 April 2023 (Aboki Fx)

Next Post
Black Market Dollar To Naira Exchange Rate

Black Market Dollar To Naira Exchange Rate For 23 April 2023 (Aboki Fx)

Trending Stories

No Content Available

Latest Stories

El-Rufai

BREAKING: DSS to Arraign El-Rufai Over Alleged Cybercrime, National Security Breach

Zoho

Zoho Celebrates 30 Years, Reaches One Million Customers and 150 Million Users Worldwide

Alex Otti

BREAKING: Tinubu Mounts Pressure On Alex Otti to Join APC, Obi To Step Down

King Charles III

King Charles III Backs Probe of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor After Arrest on 66th Birthday

Former Governor Nasir El-Rufai

ICPC Raids Former Governor Nasir El-Rufai’s Residence Amid Detention

Senator Mpigi Barinada Is Dead

BREAKING: Rivers South East Senator Mpigi Barinada Is Dead

Rivers Assembly

BREAKING: Rivers Assembly Suspends Fubara Impeachment After Tinubu’s Intervention

Wema Bank

Wema Bank Announces 2026 International Women’s Day Grand Event for March 4

Tinubu

Tinubu Orders Direct Remittance of Oil and Gas Revenues to Federation Account, Cuts NNPC Deductions

Electoral Act 2026

President Tinubu Signs Controversial New Electoral Act 2026 Into Law Amid Protests

NewsOnline Nigeria

Get the Latest Naija News, Breaking News, Top Stories, World News, Business, Politics & Entertainment from NewsOnline Nigeria.

RELEVANT PAGES

  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

ALERT US

Important Press Releases, Special Investigations: [email protected]

OFFICE ADDRESS

13 Poland Street, London, United Kingdom (UK)

Copyright © 2026 NewsOnline Nigeria

No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports

Copyright © 2023 Newsonline Nigeria