ADVERTISEMENT
  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Friday, May 22, 2026
NewsOnline Nigeria
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
NewsOnline Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Home Headline

FG Orders New System Operator To Limit Power Supply To Benin, Niger, Togo

In a document tagged: ‘Interim Order on Transmission System Dispatch Operations, Cross-border Supply and Related Matters’, NERC said the directive will last for six months in the first instance before review.

by NewsOnline Nigeria
May 6, 2024
in Headline
0
New System Operator To Limit Power Supply To Benin

FG has ordered the new system operator to limit the power supply to Benin, Niger and Togo.

 

NewsOnline Nigeria reports that the Federal Government through the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) has ordered the System Operator (SO) to commence the capping of power supply to cross-border customers in Benin Republic, Niger and Togo, in a bid to increase power availability to Nigerians.

 

This Nigeria news platform understands that Nigeria supplies a portion of the electricity it generates to some of its neighbours, including the Benin Republic, Niger Republic, and Togo.

 

In a document tagged: ‘Interim Order on Transmission System Dispatch Operations, Cross-border Supply and Related Matters’, which was obtained by NewsOnline Nigeria, NERC said the directive will last for six months in the first instance before review.

 

ALSO: NNPP Drags Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, 13 Others To EFCC For Stealing Party Funds

 

According to ThisDay, the directive, dated April 29, 2024, and which became effective from May 1, 2024, was signed by the commission’s Chairman, Sanusi Garba, and Vice Chairman, Musiliu Oseni.

 

In the order, the regulatory agency directed that power delivery to Nigeria’s neighbours must not exceed six per cent of total grid electricity at any point in time.

 

The electricity sector regulator stressed that following the implementation of the April 2024 supplementary order, the commission had observed sub-optimal grid dispatch operation practices.

 

It argued that this has compromised the Distribution Companies’ (Discos) ability to deliver on its Service Based Tariff (SBT) committed service levels to end-use customers with a significant impact on market revenues.

 

NERC said the system operator’s sole reliance on limiting Discos’ load off-take/allocation in managing recurring grid imbalances while prioritising international off-takers and Eligible Customers (ECs) is neither efficient nor equitable.

 

The practice so far adopted by the operator in managing generation availability, it said, has caused significant hardship to Discos’ customers, comprising industrial, commercial, and residential, especially during peak demands while prioritising delivery to other bilateral contracts, including export to international customers.

 

The commission noted that the current international and bilateral contracts with Generation Companies (Gencos) were based on best-endeavour and with loose terms that are often below the minimum contract standards currently operated in the industry.

 

It said many of the off-takers contracted bilaterally by Gencos often abuse this prioritisation and raise their off-takers during peak operations beyond their contracted levels at the expense of other grid users without attendant penalties for violation of grid instructions.

 

According to NERC, the order serves as an interim measure to guide the operations of the system operator and the TCN to implement Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) to improve transparency and fairness of grid operations in delivering better services to all customers.

 

It urged the system operator to place interim caps on capacities supplied to international customers for six months from the effective date of the order, thus minimising the displacement and impact on domestic supply obligations by Gencos.

 

The commission hereby orders as follows: “The system operator shall develop and present to the commission for approval within seven days from the issuance of this order a pro-rata load-shedding scheme that ensures equitable adjustment to load allocation to all off-takers — Discos, international customers, and eligible customers — in the event of a drop in generation and other under-frequency related grid imbalances necessitating critical grid management.

 

“The system operator shall implement a framework to log and publish hourly readings and enforce necessary sanctions for violation of grid instructions and contracted nominations by off-takers in line with the grid code and market.”

 

Among others, it further directed that the system operator shall publish and notify all market participants and the commission of the previous day’s hourly log readings of off-take by market participants and the market settlements report by 12:00 noon of the next day.

 

It added: “The system operator shall ensure that the maximum load allocation to international off-takers in each trading hour shall not be more than six per cent of the total available grid generation.

 

“The aggregate capacity that can be nominated by a generating plant to service international off-takers shall not be more than 10 per cent of its available generation capacity unless in exceptional circumstances a derogation is granted by the commission.

 

“The system operator shall henceforth cease to recognise any capacity addition in bilateral transactions between a generator and an off-taker without the express approval of the commission.”

Previous Post

NNPP Drags Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, 13 Others To EFCC For Stealing Party Funds

Next Post

Atiku Faults Tinubu’s Son’s Ties To Lebanese Firm Awarded Coastal Highway Project

Next Post
Historic London Meeting To Defeat Tinubu In 2027

Atiku Faults Tinubu's Son's Ties To Lebanese Firm Awarded Coastal Highway Project

Trending Stories

New System Operator To Limit Power Supply To Benin

FG Orders New System Operator To Limit Power Supply To Benin, Niger, Togo

Fubara

BREAKING: Fubara Forced Out of Rivers APC Governorship Primary Amid Supremacy Battle With Wike

Tonye Cole

BREAKING: Tonye Cole Withdraws From Rivers APC Governorship Primary Race

Professor Segun Aina

BREAKING: Tinubu Appoints Professor Segun Aina as New JAMB Registrar

Caleb University Female Student Leaked Sextape Goes Viral, Sparks Social Media Frenzy (Watch Here)

Notti Osama Video Footage

WATCH Notti Osama Video Footage Of Death On Tiktok, Twitter, & Reddit

Hamzat

BREAKING: Hamzat Wins APC Ikeja Ward B Primaries With 2,441 Votes

Tiwa Savage Sex Tape

Tiwa Savage Sex Tape Resurfaces Online After US Interview (WATCH HERE)

Adewole Adebayo

BREAKING: Adewole Adebayo, 12 Others Expelled From Social Democratic Party (FULL LIST)

Labour Party

Labour Party Petitions IGP, DSS Over Illegal Sale of Party Nomination Forms by Julius Abure

Latest Stories

INEC 2027 Election Timetable

BREAKING: Court Nullifies INEC 2027 Election Timetable, Opens Fresh Hope for Disqualified Aspirants

Cristiano Ronaldo, Al Nassr, Saudi Pro League, Ronaldo wins title, Al Nassr vs Damac, Saudi league champions, Cristiano Ronaldo goals, Al Hilal, Sadio Mane, Kingsley Coman

BREAKING: Cristiano Ronaldo Finally Wins Saudi Pro League with Al-Nassr

Hamzat

BREAKING: Hamzat Wins APC Ikeja Ward B Primaries With 2,441 Votes

Mascot Uzor Kalu

Mascot Uzor Kalu Withdraws From Abia APC Governorship Race Ahead of 2027 Elections

Labour Party

Labour Party Petitions IGP, DSS Over Illegal Sale of Party Nomination Forms by Julius Abure

Marketing Live 2026

Google Unveils Gemini-Powered AI Advertising, Commerce Tools at Marketing Live 2026

Kehinde Ogundare, Country Head, Zoho Nigeria

Beyond the vibe: Bridging Africa’s Build Divide with Intelligent Infrastructure

UTME Results

JAMB Releases 279 Previously Withheld UTME Results After Malpractice Investigation

Professor Segun Aina

BREAKING: Tinubu Appoints Professor Segun Aina as New JAMB Registrar

Hantavirus Update Today

Hantavirus Update Today — Latest Cases, Death Toll & Global Tracking

NewsOnline 2026

Get the Latest Naija News, Breaking News, Top Stories, World News, Business, Politics & Entertainment from NewsOnline Nigeria.

RELEVANT PAGES

  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

ALERT US

Important Press Releases, Special Investigations: admin@newsonlineng.com

OFFICE ADDRESS

13 Poland Street, London, United Kingdom (UK)

Copyright © 2026 NewsOnline Nigeria

No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports

Copyright © 2023 Newsonline Nigeria