Nigerian newspaper headlines and Naija news today, Saturday 6 August 2022, can be accessed below.
Newsonline has compiled top Naija news headlines from Nigerian newspapers today, this means the latest Naija news, top Nigerian newspaper headlines and happenings in Nigeria can be accessed on this page.
Below are the Nigerian Newspaper headlines & Naija news today from Nigerian newspapers.
Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. The Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo, says the Federal Government cannot ground other activities to meet the demands of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), claiming the union is not the only one in the country. He said this on Friday during a Television interview.
2. The Broadcasting Organisations of Nigeria (BON), a body which represents broadcast stations in Nigeria, has condemned the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) for imposing a N5 million fine on some organisations over documentaries on banditry. In a letter addressed to the DG of NBC, signed by its Executive Secretary, Dr. Yemise Bamgbose, BON described the imposition of the fine as a violation of the NBC codes.
3. Former Ogun State Governor, Senator Ibikunle Amosun, has broken his silence over the 2019 governorship election, saying Governor Dapo Abiodun was rigged into office. Speaking in Abeokuta on Friday, Amosun who represents Ogun Central at the Senate, declared that his friend turned foe, Abiodun did not win the election.
4. Muhammadu Sanusi II, former Emir of Kano, has expressed great concerns over the current state of the country. He said yesterday in Lagos that Nigeria is now in a worse situation than it was in 2015 when President Muhammadu Buhari took over from former President Goodluck Jonathan.
5. Governor Adegboyega Oyetola of Osun State on Friday asked the Election Petition Tribunal in Osogbo to nullify the election of the governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Ademola Adeleke. According to the governor, the election was fraught with certain irregularities.
6. COVID-19 infections have reportedly risen by 231.5 per cent within one month in the country. According to the data obtained from the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, from June 30 to August 1, the cases surged as 4,183 infections were reported, indicating an increase of 2,921 (231.5 per cent).
7. The Ondo State Police Command on Friday confirmed the abduction of four persons in the state by terrorists. The hoodlums on Thursday kidnapped the victims who included a traditional chief in Ikare Akoko, Akoko North East Local Government Area of Ondo State, Mukaila Bello.
8. The men of the Ondo State Security Network Agency also known as Amotekun Corps have intercepted a truck conveying about 151 persons suspected to be invaders. It was gathered that the corps made the arrest while acting on intelligence on the incursion of terrorists into the South-West of Nigeria.
9. The Lagos State Police Command has detained Comrade Alade Bashir Lawal, the Secretary General of the Association of Senior Civil Servants of Nigeria (ASCSN). It was gathered that Lawal was arrested over alleged massive fraud in the workers’ union.
10. Level 1 housemates at the ongoing television reality show, Big Brother Naija, season 7, on Friday won the week two wager challenge. Biggie, the coordinator of the show after announcing the winner gave each housemate in the level 1 house “1,500 pocket naira”, which would be used to purchase their needs in the house.