• About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Saturday, February 21, 2026
NewsOnline Nigeria
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
NewsOnline Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Home Crime Watch

Ex-Accountant General, Anamekwe Nwabuoku Begs For Time To Refund Looted Funds

Nwabuoku and his co-defendant, Felix Nweke, are facing 11 counts of money laundering to the tune of N1.6bn.

by NewsOnline Nigeria
July 11, 2024
in Crime Watch, Headline
0
Anamekwe Nwabuoku

Anamekwe Nwabuoku

Ex-Accountant General, Anamekwe Nwabuoku has begged for time to refund looted funds.

 

NewsOnline Nigeria reports that a former acting Accountant-General of the Federation, Anamekwe Nwabuoku, on Wednesday, pleaded with Justice James Omotoso of the Federal High Court in Abuja to give him more time to conclude the refund of the public funds allegedly looted by him and his co-defendant.

 

This Nigeria news platform understands that Nwabuoku and his co-defendant, Felix Nweke, are facing 11 counts of money laundering to the tune of N1.6bn.

 

They are being prosecuted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.

 

The defendants were accused of committing to the act while Nwabuoku served as the Director of Finance and Accounts in the Ministry of Defence between 2019 and 2021.

 

ALSO: FEC Approves Procurement Of 2000 Tractors, 1200 Trailers, Others (FULL LIST)

 

While Nwabuoku is the first defendant, Nweke is the second defendant in the charge marked FHC/ABJ/CR/240/24 dated May 20 and filed on May 27 by EFCC counsel, Ekele Iheanacho.

 

Nwabuoku was appointed acting AGoF on May 20, 2022, under ex-President Muhammadu Buhari after Ahmed Idris was suspended as AGF over alleged N80bn fraud.

 

He was, however, removed in July 2022, a few weeks after assuming office.

When the matter was called on Wednesday, the defendants prayed the court to halt their arraignment until another date to perfect the refund.

 

Nweke’s lawyer, Emeka Onyeaka, informed the court that there was a new development in the case.

He told the court that his client had taken steps towards settling the matter.

The lawyer said Nweke had made substantial refunds of the money traced to him by the anti-graft agency.

“The second defendant has taken steps, as there is a communication to the commission via-a-vs the alleged offences on making a refund.

“The commission is in receipt of the money and promised to communicate to us,” he said.

The defence counsel said upon being served with the charge, “We communicated with the commission and we were asked to tarry for their administrative procedure.”

He said since a substantial amount had been refunded, if his client was arraigned, such action would affect the trial.

He, therefore, prayed the court to grant them an adjournment to take further steps on the administrative procedure.

 

Maduakolam Igwe, who appeared for Nwabuoku, aligned with Onyeaka’s submission.

Igwe said his client had equally taken the same steps and that a substantial amount had been refunded.

“We have written to the commission on this. The first defendant has also made some refunds.

 

“May I adopt the submission of my learner friend to tidy up the administrative procedure,” he corroborated.

Responding, counsel who appeared for the EFCC, Ogechi Ujam, acknowledged that though the commission was in receipt of a proposal letter, she said, “No negotiation has been made, no settlement has been done and no agreement has been reached by parties.

 

“In the circumstances, we urge this honourable court to allow us to arraign the defendants.”

After hearing the parties out, Justice Omotosho adjourned till October 14 for arraignment.

Previous Post

FEC Approves Procurement Of 2000 Tractors, 1200 Trailers, Others (FULL LIST)

Next Post

BREAKING: President Tinubu Meets Labour On N250,000 Minimum Wage Demand

Next Post
NLC, TUC, CNG,

BREAKING: President Tinubu Meets Labour On N250,000 Minimum Wage Demand

Trending Stories

No Content Available

Latest Stories

Apple

Apple Warns iPhone Users as iPhone 6s, SE, Older Models Added to Obsolete List

2027 Politics

2027 Politics Heats Up as ‘Village Boys Movement’ Launches in Abuja, Backs Value-Based Leadership

El-Rufai

BREAKING: DSS to Arraign El-Rufai Over Alleged Cybercrime, National Security Breach

Zoho

Zoho Celebrates 30 Years, Reaches One Million Customers and 150 Million Users Worldwide

Alex Otti

BREAKING: Tinubu Mounts Pressure On Alex Otti to Join APC, Obi To Step Down

King Charles III

King Charles III Backs Probe of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor After Arrest on 66th Birthday

Former Governor Nasir El-Rufai

ICPC Raids Former Governor Nasir El-Rufai’s Residence Amid Detention

Senator Mpigi Barinada Is Dead

BREAKING: Rivers South East Senator Mpigi Barinada Is Dead

Rivers Assembly

BREAKING: Rivers Assembly Suspends Fubara Impeachment After Tinubu’s Intervention

Wema Bank

Wema Bank Announces 2026 International Women’s Day Grand Event for March 4

NewsOnline Nigeria

Get the Latest Naija News, Breaking News, Top Stories, World News, Business, Politics & Entertainment from NewsOnline Nigeria.

RELEVANT PAGES

  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

ALERT US

Important Press Releases, Special Investigations: [email protected]

OFFICE ADDRESS

13 Poland Street, London, United Kingdom (UK)

Copyright © 2026 NewsOnline Nigeria

No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports

Copyright © 2023 Newsonline Nigeria