ADVERTISEMENT
  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Saturday, August 30, 2025
NewsOnline Nigeria
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
NewsOnline Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
ADVERTISEMENT
Home Sports

EPL: Antonio Wilson Agreed Move To Limit Taking The Knee

“Doing it week-to-week, just because it’s something we’ve been told to do… it’s probably faded and lost its impact,” Wilson told Footballer’s Football Podcast.

by NewsOnline Nigeria
August 12, 2022
in Sports
0
Antonio Wilson

Newcastle United striker Callum Wilson and West Ham United forward Michail Antonio backed the Premier League’s decision for teams to limit their pre-match anti-racism gesture of “taking the knee” to only some significant games this season.

 

NewsOnline report That Players took the knee during last weekend’s opening round of matches and the gesture will also be seen during the “No Room for Racism” match rounds in October and March, Boxing Day fixtures after the World Cup, league matches on the final day of the season and FA Cup and EFL Cup finals.

 

“Doing it week-to-week, just because it’s something we’ve been told to do… it’s probably faded and lost its impact,” Wilson told Footballer’s Football Podcast.

 

“I think it comes down to the government doing more, too. “Everyone loves footballers. Football brings people together, but it can’t just be us trying to make that change.”

 

READ ALSO  EPL: Rodgers names three Arsenal stars that could hurt Leicester City

 

Following the death of George Floyd, a Black man who died in police custody in Minneapolis in May 2020, Premier League players showed their support to the Black Lives Matter cause by taking the knee before the start of every match, a gesture that was first performed by NFL player Colin Kaepernick in 2016.
But whether players should continue taking a knee has divided opinion across sport. Antonio said it was good that the gesture had not been abandoned completely.

 

“It’ll have more of an impact at big games,” the 32-year-old said.

 

“I wouldn’t say we should completely stop it. It still has impact. As kids are going to games, they always say, ‘why do they do that?’ – I know for a fact that kids are asking the question. They’re getting educated.”

 

Crystal Palace manager Patrick Vieira said last week that teams should not stop making the gesture as a statement still had to be made.

ADVERTISEMENT
Previous Post

Banky W’s wife Adesua Etomi Remixes His Song ‘Strong Thing’

Next Post

Real Madrid on the verge of bringing Iker Bravo back to Spain

Next Post

Real Madrid on the verge of bringing Iker Bravo back to Spain

Trending Stories

El-Rufai

El-Rufai Rules Out 2027 Presidential Bid Under ADC, Names Candidate To Support

Service Chiefs

BREAKING: FG Approves Lifetime Salary Benefits for Retiring Service Chiefs

NNPCL GCEO Bayo Ojulari

BREAKING: NNPCL GCEO Bayo Ojulari Raises Alarm Over Threats to Life, Management Team

Balthazar Video Telegram

Balthazar Video Telegram: Watch All 400 Balthazar Engonga Sex Tapes Here

Rapper Falz

Rapper Falz Announces Engagement, Shares Pre-Wedding Photos

Nigeria Immigration Service

BREAKING: Nigeria Immigration Service Hikes Passport Application Fees

Antonio Wilson

EPL: Antonio Wilson Agreed Move To Limit Taking The Knee

Amaechi

Amaechi Declares 2027 Presidential Ambition Under ADC, Vows Not to Step Down For Atiku, Obi

Innocent Ike

Access Holdings Names Innocent Ike New GMD/CEO Amid Boardroom Tension

Jonathan, Peter Obi

BREAKING: PDP Names Jonathan, Peter Obi Among 2027 Presidential Contenders

Latest Stories

Jonathan, Peter Obi

BREAKING: PDP Names Jonathan, Peter Obi Among 2027 Presidential Contenders

Service Chiefs

BREAKING: FG Approves Lifetime Salary Benefits for Retiring Service Chiefs

GCEO Ojulari

NNPC Under Attack, But Transformation Will Continue – GCEO Ojulari

ASUU

FG Denies Signing 2009 Draft Agreement Document With ASUU

NNPC CEO Bayo Ojulari

NNPC CEO Bayo Ojulari Confirms ₦500m Monthly Losses in Non-Functional Refineries

Rapper Falz

Rapper Falz Announces Engagement, Shares Pre-Wedding Photos

Peter Obi

Peter Obi Condemns Hike in International Passport Fees

Innocent Ike

Access Holdings Names Innocent Ike as Group CEO, Bolaji Agbede Reverts to Executive Director Role

Zoho

Zoho Unveils Proprietary Zia LLM, Expands AI Suite with Agents and Studio Tools

Innocent Ike

Access Holdings Names Innocent Ike New GMD/CEO Amid Boardroom Tension

ADVERTISEMENT

NEWSONLINE NIGERIA

Get the Latest Naija News, Breaking News, Top Stories, World News, Business, Politics & Entertainment from NewsOnline Nigeria.

RELEVANT PAGES

  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

ALERT US

Important Press Releases, Special Investigations: admin@newsonlineng.com

OFFICE ADDRESS

13 Poland Street, London, United Kingdom (UK)

Copyright © 2025 NewsOnline Nigeria

No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports

Copyright © 2023 Newsonline Nigeria