ADVERTISEMENT
  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Saturday, August 30, 2025
NewsOnline Nigeria
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
NewsOnline Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
ADVERTISEMENT
Home News

Court Threatens To Jail Buhari, Malami, Lawan, Others For Contempt Over Onochie

by NewsOnline Nigeria
December 26, 2022
in News
0
Court threatens to Jail Buhari

Court threatens to Jail Buhari, Malami, Lawan, and others over Onochie’s confirmation as NDDC Chairman. 

 

Newsonline reports that a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja has warned President Muhammadu Buhari, Attorney-General and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, and Senate President, Ahmad Lawan for flouting an earlier restraining order.

Also: Court Contempt: Why IGP, Usman Alkali Will Not Be Jailed- Force PPRO

Others in the suit are Special Adviser on Social Media to the president, Lauretta Onochie and Samuel Ogbuku.

The court in a notice of consequences of disobedience dated December 23, 2022, gave a warning to President Buhari, Lawan, Onochie and others.

The court also stopped President Buhari from swearing in Onochie and Ogbuku.

The notice read, ‘’Take notice that unless you obey the directions contained in this order, you will be guilty of contempt of court and will be liable to be committed to prison.”

 

Recall that the Senate last week screened and confirmed Onochie and Ogbuku as Chairman and Managing Director of the Niger Delta Development Commission respectively.

The court had earlier granted an order stopping the National Assembly from screening and confirming the nomination of Onochie and Ogbuku.

The presiding judge, Justice J. K. Omotosho, instructed that all actions on the matter be suspended pending the determination of the suit.

 

Among other things, the originating summons marked FHC/ABJ/CS/2294/2022 is seeking a restraining order on the National Assembly from screening and confirming the duo.

The plaintiffs, Chief Edward Ekpokpo Esq., and Victor Wood who are both representing the Itsekiri Leaders of Thought and Mr Edward Omagbemi who is presenting Omadino Unity Forum all on behalf of the Itsekiri ethnic nationality are challenging the nomination on the grounds that it is the turn of the Itsekiri nationality to occupy the positions.

The first to sixth defendants in the suit are President Buhari, the Attorney General and Minister of Justice, Malami; Senate President, Lawan, Lauretta Onochie and Samuel Ogbuku.

The suit filed by Ama Etuwewe SAN & Co., demands that the provisions of the NDDC Act should be followed in the process.

It maintained that it is the turn of the Itsekiri ethnic nationality to produce the NDDC board chairman and MD as arguably the biggest oil-producing community in Delta State.

 

The presiding judge, Justice Omotosho adjourned the matter to January 11, 2023, for further hearing, after reading the affidavit and hearing the counsel to the plaintiff.

He said, “That leave is hereby granted to the plaintiffs to serve the 5th and 6th defendants with the originating processes in this suit by substituted means to wit by advertising the processes in at least one national newspaper circulating within the jurisdiction of this to court and to deem the same as proper service.

“That an order is hereby made that no party in this suit shall take any step or act or action that may make the outcome of the pending motion on notice for injunction Dated and filed December 12, 2022, nugatory.

“That any act or step or action taken in this order to make the outcome of the said motion on notice dated and filed December 12, 2022, nugatory shall be a nullity.”

See the court notice below:

ADVERTISEMENT
Previous Post

BREAKING: Government Declares Thursday, 29 December Public Holiday

Next Post

Bolanle Raheem: Police Learned Nothing From Endsars- Sowore, Journalists, Nigerians

Next Post
Breaking: Policeman, Drambi Vandi, Who Killed Bolanle Suspended

Bolanle Raheem: Police Learned Nothing From Endsars- Sowore, Journalists, Nigerians

Trending Stories

Peter Obi

BREAKING: Labour Party Writes Tinubu To Arrest, Prosecute Peter Obi Over Treasonable Felony

Minister Wike

BREAKING: Minister Wike Confims Governor Fubara’s Return Date

El-Rufai

El-Rufai Rules Out 2027 Presidential Bid Under ADC, Names Candidate To Support

Service Chiefs

BREAKING: FG Approves Lifetime Salary Benefits for Retiring Service Chiefs

Balthazar Video Telegram

Balthazar Video Telegram: Watch All 400 Balthazar Engonga Sex Tapes Here

Court threatens to Jail Buhari

Court Threatens To Jail Buhari, Malami, Lawan, Others For Contempt Over Onochie

Jonathan, Peter Obi

BREAKING: PDP Names Jonathan, Peter Obi Among 2027 Presidential Contenders

NNPCL GCEO Bayo Ojulari

BREAKING: NNPCL GCEO Bayo Ojulari Raises Alarm Over Threats to Life, Management Team

Nigeria Immigration Service

BREAKING: Nigeria Immigration Service Hikes Passport Application Fees

Rapper Falz

Rapper Falz Announces Engagement, Shares Pre-Wedding Photos

Latest Stories

CAC

BREAKING: CAC Postpones Revised Service Fees to October 1, 2025

Police Service Commission

BREAKING: Police Service Commission Denies Commencement of 2025 Recruitment Process

Jason Benson Biography

Jason Benson Biography: OfficialJaceBen Music, Age, Genre, Wikipedia, Family

Jason Benson Biography

Jason Benson’s New Single “PRESSURE” Surpasses 4000 Streams in Just Days

Peter Obi

BREAKING: Labour Party Writes Tinubu To Arrest, Prosecute Peter Obi Over Treasonable Felony

Senator Kabiru Marafa

Senator Kabiru Marafa Resigns from APC, Cites Betrayal and Division

$80 Prepaid Customs Duty

FG Slams $80 Prepaid Customs Duty On Nigerians For Postal Shipments To U.S

Minister Wike

BREAKING: Minister Wike Confims Governor Fubara’s Return Date

FirstBank

FirstBank’s ₦1 Trillion Digital Loan Disbursement Milestone And The New Era Of Inclusive Lending In Nigeria

Jonathan, Peter Obi

BREAKING: PDP Names Jonathan, Peter Obi Among 2027 Presidential Contenders

ADVERTISEMENT

NEWSONLINE NIGERIA

Get the Latest Naija News, Breaking News, Top Stories, World News, Business, Politics & Entertainment from NewsOnline Nigeria.

RELEVANT PAGES

  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

ALERT US

Important Press Releases, Special Investigations: admin@newsonlineng.com

OFFICE ADDRESS

13 Poland Street, London, United Kingdom (UK)

Copyright © 2025 NewsOnline Nigeria

No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports

Copyright © 2023 Newsonline Nigeria