ADVERTISEMENT
  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Saturday, May 23, 2026
NewsOnline Nigeria
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
NewsOnline Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Home News

BREAKING: WHO Announces Global Resurgence Of Cholera

WHO announced that its Eastern Mediterranean Region reported the highest number of cases, followed by the African Region, the Region of the Americas, the Southeast Asia Region, and the European Region.

by NewsOnline Nigeria
June 21, 2024
in News
0
Global Public Health Emergency

WHO has announced the global resurgence of Cholera.

 

NewsOnline Nigeria reports that the World Health Organisation (WHO) has announced an increase in cholera cases in several regions of the world.

This Nigeria news platform understands that WHO also disclosed that almost 195,000 cases and over 1,900 deaths reported in 24 countries since the start of 2024.

This was revealed in a statement on Thursday, stating that there are no reported cases in the Western Region.

 

ALSO: FG Launches Initiative To Promote Wildlife At Airports

WHO announced that its Eastern Mediterranean Region reported the highest number of cases, followed by the African Region, the Region of the Americas, the Southeast Asia Region, and the European Region.

The UN health agency said it exhausted its global stockpile of Oral Cholera Vaccines (OCV) by March but was able to exceed “the emergency target of five million doses in early June for the first time in 2024.”

Yet, the supply of the vaccine does not equate to its demand.

WHO reported that since January last year, 16 countries requested 92 million doses of OCV almost double the 49 million produced during that time.

 

WHO, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and other partners are working together to use resources to find long-term solutions for cholera.

 

WHO also announced on Thursday that Chad successfully eradicated “sleeping sickness” as a public health problem.

WHO Director-General, Tedros Ghebreyesus also applauded the Government and people of Chad for eradicating the gambiense form of human African trypanosomiasis, (also known as sleeping sickness).

“I congratulate the government and the people of Chad for this achievement.

 

“It is great to see Chad join the growing group of countries that have eliminated at least one neglected tropical disease (NTD),” he said.

In eliminating the disease, Chad joined some 50 others globally that have succeeded in this endeavour.

Sleeping sickness can cause flu-like symptoms initially but eventually cause behaviour change, confusion, sleep cycle disturbances or even coma, often leading to death.

 

Improved access to early diagnosis and treatment, as well as surveillance and response has proven that countries can control and eventually eliminate transmission.

Previous Post

BREAKING: FG Launches Initiative To Promote Wildlife At Airports

Next Post

ASUU Sends Crucial Message To Tinubu Ahead of Nationwide Strike

Next Post
ASUU

ASUU Sends Crucial Message To Tinubu Ahead of Nationwide Strike

Trending Stories

INEC 2027 Election Timetable

BREAKING: Court Nullifies INEC 2027 Election Timetable, Opens Fresh Hope for Disqualified Aspirants

Caleb University Female Student Leaked Sextape Goes Viral, Sparks Social Media Frenzy (Watch Here)

Global Public Health Emergency

BREAKING: WHO Announces Global Resurgence Of Cholera

CAC

CAC Login Portal for Fee Business Registration – www.pre.cac.gov.ng

Balthazar Video Telegram

Balthazar Video Telegram: Watch All 400 Balthazar Engonga Sex Tapes Here

Tiwa Savage Sex Tape

Tiwa Savage Sex Tape Resurfaces Online After US Interview (WATCH HERE)

Watch Viral Sex Video of Anambra Married Woman

Watch Viral Sex Video Of Anambra Married Woman With Husband’s Best Friend

Balthazar Video Telegram

Direct Link To Watch All Baltasar Engonga 400 Videos With Government Officials Wives

Balthazar Wife Video

Another Balthazar Wife Video Breaks Internet (WATCH HERE)

Baltasar Engonga Wife Video Knacking Another Man

Watch Full Baltasar Engonga Wife Video Knacking Another Man [#BaltasarEngonga]

Latest Stories

Religious Nation, Godless Action

Religious Nation, Godless Actions: Nigeria’s Painful Contradiction By Festus Edovia

Democracy in Chains

Democracy in Chains: How Power Imposition Is Replacing the People’s Voice in Nigeria

Festus Edovia

Politics as Big Business: The Dangerous Decline of Public Service in Nigeria By Festus Edovia

JTAH Foundation

“Men, Why the Silence?” JTAH Foundation Sets Agenda on Masculinity, Vulnerability, Relationship Breakdown

Kogi APC Primary Controversy

Kogi APC Primary Controversy: Alleged Vote Rigging Raises Fresh Questions About Internal Democracy

Peter Obi, Atiku Rift Speculations

Peter Obi, Atiku Rift Speculations False, Says Former Anambra Governor Amid 2027 Politics

Ganduje

Ganduje’s Son Joins NDC, Picks House of Reps Form After Aligning With Kwankwaso

Lagos APC Governorship Primary Results

Hamzat Presents Lagos APC Governorship Primary Results to Tinubu

AEDC

AEDC Announces Major Power Outage in Abuja, Presidential Villa, Supreme Court, Airport

APC Presidential Primary

BREAKING: Tinubu Secures Landslide Victory in APC Presidential Primary in Lagos Ward

NewsOnline 2026

Get the Latest Naija News, Breaking News, Top Stories, World News, Business, Politics & Entertainment from NewsOnline Nigeria.

RELEVANT PAGES

  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

ALERT US

Important Press Releases, Special Investigations: admin@newsonlineng.com

OFFICE ADDRESS

13 Poland Street, London, United Kingdom (UK)

Copyright © 2026 NewsOnline Nigeria

No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports

Copyright © 2023 Newsonline Nigeria