ADVERTISEMENT
  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Saturday, August 30, 2025
NewsOnline Nigeria
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
NewsOnline Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
ADVERTISEMENT
Home World

BREAKING: US Imposes Sanctions On Wagner Group Over Gold, Killings In Africa

while imposing the sanctions on Tuesday, President Biden's administration vowed to hold the mercenaries accountable for abuses in Africa and other places.

by NewsOnline Nigeria
June 28, 2023
in World, Headline
0
Wagner Group

US Government has imposed sanctions on Wagner Group over Gold and Killings in Africa days after mutiny in Russia.

 

Newsonline Nigeria reports that the United States has imposed sanctions aimed at disrupting gold mining activities that fund the Wagner Group in Africa.

 

This Nigeria News platform understands that while imposing the sanctions on Tuesday, President Biden’s administration vowed to hold the mercenaries accountable for abuses in Africa and other places.

 

Coming days after the Wagner Group staged a mutiny in Russia, the measures had been previously planned but were briefly put on hold as US officials sought to avoid appearing to favor a side in a power struggle between the mercenaries’ chief Yevgeny Prigozhin and Russian President Vladimir Putin.

 

The measures, according to Treasury Department, affect Midas Resources, which operates mines in the Central African Republic, and Diamville, a gold and diamond purchasing company in the country- and said both were controlled by Prigozhin.

 

The sanctions- which will block any US assets and criminalize transactions with the companies- also target a Dubai-based company, Industrial Resources General Trading, that is accused of handling finances for Prigozhin’s dealings in Diamville.

“The Wagner Group funds its brutal operations in part by exploiting natural resources in countries like the Central African Republic and Mali,” Treasury official, Brian Nelson, said in a statement.

 

“The United States will continue to target the Wagner Group’s revenue streams to degrade its expansion and violence in Africa, Ukraine and anywhere else,” Brian maintained.

 

The Wagner Group has been contracted by military regimes in Africa and played an increasingly violent role in Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, with Prigozhin urging Putin to use even greater force.

 

State Department spokesman, Matthew Miller, previewing the sanctions earlier Tuesday, renewed his criticism of the Wagner mercenaries, who have been accused of wide abuses in Africa.

 

“We believe that everywhere that Wagner goes, they bring death and destruction in their wake. They hurt local populations, they extract minerals and extract money from the communities where they operate,” Miller told reporters.

“And so we would continue to urge governments in Africa and elsewhere to cease any cooperation with Wagner,” he said.

AFP reports that the UN human rights body last month reported that foreign forces- identified by the United States as Wagner- were involved in a massacre of at least 500 people in the central Malian town of Moura in March 2022.

 

Prigozhin, as part of a deal with the Kremlin, was allowed to travel to Belarus, the Russian ally’s strongman, Alexander Lukashenko, confirmed on Tuesday.

 

Lukashenko’s decision to welcome Prigozhin marks “another example of him choosing the interests of Vladimir Putin and choosing the interests of the Kremlin over the interests of the Belarusian people,” Miller said.

ADVERTISEMENT
Previous Post

100+ Eid-El-Kabir Messages, Wishes, Prayers And Quotes For Family, Friends

Next Post

FG Declares Wednesday, Thursday Public Holidays For Eid-el-Kabir Celebrations

Next Post
FEC

FG Declares Wednesday, Thursday Public Holidays For Eid-el-Kabir Celebrations

Trending Stories

El-Rufai

El-Rufai Rules Out 2027 Presidential Bid Under ADC, Names Candidate To Support

Service Chiefs

BREAKING: FG Approves Lifetime Salary Benefits for Retiring Service Chiefs

NNPCL GCEO Bayo Ojulari

BREAKING: NNPCL GCEO Bayo Ojulari Raises Alarm Over Threats to Life, Management Team

Balthazar Video Telegram

Balthazar Video Telegram: Watch All 400 Balthazar Engonga Sex Tapes Here

Nigeria Immigration Service

BREAKING: Nigeria Immigration Service Hikes Passport Application Fees

Rapper Falz

Rapper Falz Announces Engagement, Shares Pre-Wedding Photos

Wagner Group

BREAKING: US Imposes Sanctions On Wagner Group Over Gold, Killings In Africa

Amaechi

Amaechi Declares 2027 Presidential Ambition Under ADC, Vows Not to Step Down For Atiku, Obi

Innocent Ike

Access Holdings Names Innocent Ike New GMD/CEO Amid Boardroom Tension

Jonathan, Peter Obi

BREAKING: PDP Names Jonathan, Peter Obi Among 2027 Presidential Contenders

Latest Stories

Jonathan, Peter Obi

BREAKING: PDP Names Jonathan, Peter Obi Among 2027 Presidential Contenders

Service Chiefs

BREAKING: FG Approves Lifetime Salary Benefits for Retiring Service Chiefs

GCEO Ojulari

NNPC Under Attack, But Transformation Will Continue – GCEO Ojulari

ASUU

FG Denies Signing 2009 Draft Agreement Document With ASUU

NNPC CEO Bayo Ojulari

NNPC CEO Bayo Ojulari Confirms ₦500m Monthly Losses in Non-Functional Refineries

Rapper Falz

Rapper Falz Announces Engagement, Shares Pre-Wedding Photos

Peter Obi

Peter Obi Condemns Hike in International Passport Fees

Innocent Ike

Access Holdings Names Innocent Ike as Group CEO, Bolaji Agbede Reverts to Executive Director Role

Zoho

Zoho Unveils Proprietary Zia LLM, Expands AI Suite with Agents and Studio Tools

Innocent Ike

Access Holdings Names Innocent Ike New GMD/CEO Amid Boardroom Tension

ADVERTISEMENT

NEWSONLINE NIGERIA

Get the Latest Naija News, Breaking News, Top Stories, World News, Business, Politics & Entertainment from NewsOnline Nigeria.

RELEVANT PAGES

  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

ALERT US

Important Press Releases, Special Investigations: admin@newsonlineng.com

OFFICE ADDRESS

13 Poland Street, London, United Kingdom (UK)

Copyright © 2025 NewsOnline Nigeria

No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports

Copyright © 2023 Newsonline Nigeria