Crime Watch

BREAKING: FG Threatens Striking Workers With Six Months Jail Term

the AGF & Minister of Justice, Lateef Fagbemi (SAN), gave the warning in a statement on Sunday.

FG has threatened the striking workers with a six (6) months jail term.

 

NewsOnline Nigeria reports that the federal government has warned workers planning to embark on the indefinite strike, which was declared by labour unions that they risk a six-month jail term.

 

This Nigeria news platform understands that the AGF & Minister of Justice, Lateef Fagbemi (SAN), gave the warning in a statement on Sunday.

Fagbemi said Section 18 of the Trade Disputes Act requires a worker employed in any essential services to give their employer 15 days’ notice before ceasing their services and any who did not comply would be liable on conviction to a fine or imprisonment for six months.

 

ALSO: CBN Revokes Heritage Bank License Over Poor Financial Performance

He said the fundamental importance of the 15-day notice is underscored by the fact that Sections 41 and 42(1)(b) of the Act criminalize non-compliance with the provision.

He noted that the federal government had been engaging stakeholders in the tripartite committee to determine a new national minimum wage and had not declared an end to negotiation.

The AGF further noted that the proposed strike is a breach of an order of the National Industrial Court and ongoing mediators’ settlement efforts over issues connected with the subject matter of the order.

“You are further invited to recall the pendency of the interim injunctive order granted on 5th June 2023 in suit no: NICN/ABJ/158/2023 — FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OF NIGERIA & ANOR VV. NIGERIAN LABOUR CONGRESS & ANOR, which order restrained both NLC from embarking on any industrial action or strike of any nature,” he said.

“While the government assures that it would continue to adopt a conciliatory approach to resolving matters pertaining to workers’ and citizens’ welfare in the spirit of collective bargaining, I would like to urge you to kindly reconsider the declaration of strike action and return to the ongoing negotiation meetings, which has been adjourned to a date to be communicated to parties.

“This would be a more civil and patriotic approach and will enable your Congress to pursue its cause within the ambit of the law and avoid foisting avoidable hardships on the generality of Nigerians. which this proposed industrial action is bound to cause.”

NewsOnline Nigeria

Recent Posts

  • Profiles & Biographies

Ayobami Celebrates Tokunbo Wahab at 54 for Leadership, Mentorship and Public Service Impact

Ayobami has celebrated Tokunbo Wahab at 54 for Leadership, Mentorship and Public Service Impact.  …

1 day ago
  • Brands & Marketing

Union Bank Marks 2026 International Day of the Boy Child with School Outreach in Lagos

Union Bank has marked 2026 International Day of the Boy Child with School Outreach in…

2 days ago
  • Brands & Marketing

Sterling Financial Deepens Market Confidence as Assets Cross ₦4tn, Profit Jumps 53% in Q1 2026

Sterling Financial has deepened market confidence as assets cross ₦4tn and profit jumped 53% in…

2 days ago
  • Politics
  • Top Stories

Tinubu Presidency Knocks Peter Obi Over Rwanda Trip Comments, Says Diplomacy Not ‘Reality TV’

Tinubu Presidency has knocked Peter Obi over Rwanda trip comments.   NewsOnline Nigeria reports that…

2 days ago
  • Top Stories
  • World

Tinubu Confirms Killing of Top ISIS Leader Abu-Bilal Al-Manuki in Joint Nigeria-US Military Operation

President Tinubu has confirmed the killing of top ISIS Leader Abu-Bilal Al-Manuki in joint Nigeria-US…

2 days ago
  • Headline

APC Releases Full List of ‘Not Cleared’ House of Reps Aspirants Ahead of 2027 Primaries

APC has released full list of ‘not cleared’ House of Reps aspirants ahead of 2027…

2 days ago