• About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Sunday, February 22, 2026
NewsOnline Nigeria
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
NewsOnline Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Home Crime Watch

BREAKING: FG Makes Demand To Court Over Nnamdi Kanu’s No-Case Submission

the Federal Government’s lead counsel, Adegboyega Awomolo (SAN), made the plea while responding to the no-case application presented by Kanu.

by NewsOnline Nigeria
July 18, 2025
in Crime Watch, Headline
0
Nnamdi Kanu

Nnamdi Kanu

FG has made a demand to court over Nnamdi Kanu’s no-case submission.

 

NewsOnline Nigeria reports that the Federal Government on Friday urged the Federal High Court in Abuja to reject the no-case submission filed by the detained leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu.

 

This Nigeria news platform understands that the Federal Government’s lead counsel, Adegboyega Awomolo (SAN), made the plea while responding to the no-case application presented by Kanu.

 

Awomolo told the trial judge, Justice James Omotosho, that Kanu had made a broadcast on Radio Biafra in which he openly and publicly declared his intention to break up Nigeria.

 

ALSO: President Tinubu Government Names APC Leader In Akwa Ibom State

 

He added that Kanu not only threatened to disintegrate the country but also declared his plan to establish a Republic of Biafra.

 

Awomolo emphasised that Kanu’s declaration was not a mere empty threat, but a deliberate and dangerous one, stating that his broadcast caused widespread fear among Nigerians.

 

He argued that boasting about breaking up Nigeria constitutes a serious national security concern and should not be dismissed as mere rhetoric, as claimed by Kanu.

 

Awomolo further alleged that Kanu, in the broadcast, directed his followers to target and kill policemen and their families, noting that more than 170 security personnel were killed shortly afterwards.

 

“The defendant made a broadcast in which he proudly declared himself as the IPOB leader, even though he knew that the group had been proscribed. He claimed the world would come to a standstill,” he said.

 

“The Nigerian law prohibits inciting statements capable of making citizens live in perpetual fear. The threat to destroy Nigeria was not idle talk—it was aimed at creating Biafra, and there are consequences for such statements.”

 

Awomolo urged the court to reject the no-case submission and compel Kanu to open his defence, arguing that the application was both misplaced and misconceived.

 

He maintained that the Biafra agitator had a case to answer on the seven-count terrorism charge brought against him by the Office of the Attorney General of the Federation.

 

However, Kanu, through his lead counsel, Chief Kanu Agabi (SAN), challenged the validity of the prosecution’s case and asked the court to discharge and acquit him.

 

Among other points, Agabi argued that no witness had testified that they were incited to violence by Kanu throughout the proceedings.

 

He also told the court that the five witnesses who testified—all operatives of the Department of State Services—admitted that their role was limited to obtaining statements from Kanu.

 

Agabi further contended that no investigation was conducted into the statements allegedly made by Kanu, and no investigative report regarding the terrorism allegations was presented in court.

 

He highlighted that the charges against Kanu had been amended eight times, yet no witness came forward to claim they were incited by him.

 

Insisting that Kanu merely urged people to defend themselves against widespread killings, Agabi argued that Kanu’s threat to “bring the world down” was simply boastful talk and should not be used as evidence of terrorism.

 

He said that urging Nigerians to defend themselves is a constitutional right that has also been echoed by prominent Nigerians, including retired General T.Y. Danjuma.

 

Agabi also criticised Kanu’s prolonged solitary confinement over the past 10 years, stating that international law prohibits solitary confinement beyond 15 days.

 

He concluded by insisting that the elements of the terrorism charges were not proven during the trial, and urged the judge to rule that no prima facie case had been established against Kanu to warrant him entering a defence.

 

Justice Omotosho, after listening to arguments for and against the no-case submission, adjourned the matter until October 10 for ruling.

Previous Post

President Tinubu Government Names APC Leader In Akwa Ibom State

Next Post

BREAKING: Labour Party Faction Holds NEC Meeting In Abuja Amid Crisis

Next Post
Labour Party

BREAKING: Labour Party Faction Holds NEC Meeting In Abuja Amid Crisis

Trending Stories

No Content Available

Latest Stories

Apple

Apple Warns iPhone Users as iPhone 6s, SE, Older Models Added to Obsolete List

2027 Politics

2027 Politics Heats Up as ‘Village Boys Movement’ Launches in Abuja, Backs Value-Based Leadership

El-Rufai

BREAKING: DSS to Arraign El-Rufai Over Alleged Cybercrime, National Security Breach

Zoho

Zoho Celebrates 30 Years, Reaches One Million Customers and 150 Million Users Worldwide

Alex Otti

BREAKING: Tinubu Mounts Pressure On Alex Otti to Join APC, Obi To Step Down

King Charles III

King Charles III Backs Probe of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor After Arrest on 66th Birthday

Former Governor Nasir El-Rufai

ICPC Raids Former Governor Nasir El-Rufai’s Residence Amid Detention

Senator Mpigi Barinada Is Dead

BREAKING: Rivers South East Senator Mpigi Barinada Is Dead

Rivers Assembly

BREAKING: Rivers Assembly Suspends Fubara Impeachment After Tinubu’s Intervention

Wema Bank

Wema Bank Announces 2026 International Women’s Day Grand Event for March 4

NewsOnline Nigeria

Get the Latest Naija News, Breaking News, Top Stories, World News, Business, Politics & Entertainment from NewsOnline Nigeria.

RELEVANT PAGES

  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

ALERT US

Important Press Releases, Special Investigations: [email protected]

OFFICE ADDRESS

13 Poland Street, London, United Kingdom (UK)

Copyright © 2026 NewsOnline Nigeria

No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports

Copyright © 2023 Newsonline Nigeria