ADVERTISEMENT
  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Friday, August 21, 2026
NewsOnline Nigeria
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
NewsOnline Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
ADVERTISEMENT
Home Headline

BREAKING: ECOWAS Begins Activation Of Military Force In Niger Republic

ECOWAS defence chiefs who met in Accra, Ghana’s capital, released a statement on Wednesday to say they have commenced the activation of their standby force for the restoration of constitutional order in Niger.

by NewsOnline Nigeria
August 17, 2023
in Headline, World
0
Niger Republic’s Economic Pipelines

ECOWAS has commenced the activation of a standby Military force to restore constitutional order in the Niger Republic.

 

Newsonline Nigeria reports that the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) has announced that it has begun the activation of its standby force in the Niger Republic to restore constitutional order.

 

This Nigeria News platform understands that ECOWAS defence chiefs who met in Accra, Ghana’s capital, released a statement on Wednesday to say they have commenced the activation of their standby force for the restoration of constitutional order in Niger.

 

 

“To this end, the ECOWAS committee of chiefs of defence staff will be having an extraordinary meeting in Accra, Ghana from 17th to 18th August 2023 to finalise plans for the deployment of the standby force,” the statement said.

 

According to TheCable, although the defence chiefs had backed the calls for dialogue as a mediation tactic in Niger, the group said all elements that would go into any military intervention had been worked out and were being refined, including the timing, resources needed and how, where and when to deploy such force.

 

Last Thursday, ECOWAS directed the deployment of standby military troops in Niger after the country’s junta defied the bloc’s deadline to reinstate ousted President Mohamed Bazoum.

 

The resolve was made at the end of the second extraordinary summit held to resolve Niger’s political crisis.

 

 

Speaking at the meeting, President Bola Tinubu, ECOWAS chairperson, said the bloc’s leaders were mandated to exhaust all avenues of engagement to ensure a swift return to constitutional governance in Niger.

 

Tinubu said it was necessary for action because the political crisis in Niger not only poses a threat to the stability of the nation but also has far-reaching implications for the entire West African region.

 

The ECOWAS chairperson assured that the bloc would remain steadfast in its commitment to supporting Niger in the journey towards peaceful democratic stability in the country.

 

Few days after the bloc’s actions, Niger’s military junta said they were ready to explore diplomatic dialogue after a meeting with Nigeria’s intervention team comprising Islamic scholars.

 

 

However, in a fresh twist, the Niger military administration said it would prosecute the “deposed president and his local and foreign accomplices before the competent national and international authorities for high treason and undermining internal and external security”.

Previous Post

UNICAL Suspends Law Faculty Dean, Cyril Ndifon Over Sexual Harassment Allegations

Next Post

BREAKING: AIU Clears Tobi Amusan Of Doping Violations, Lifts Suspension

Next Post
Tobi Amusan

BREAKING: AIU Clears Tobi Amusan Of Doping Violations, Lifts Suspension

Trending Stories

Niger Republic’s Economic Pipelines

BREAKING: ECOWAS Begins Activation Of Military Force In Niger Republic

IKEDC

Blackout: Lagos Residents Cry Out as IKEDC Areas Remain Without Power for Days

Women with Larger Breasts

Study Links Hunger, Financial Insecurity to Men’s Preference for Women with Larger Breasts

Baltasar Engonga Wife Video Knacking Another Man

Watch Full Baltasar Engonga Wife Video Knacking Another Man [#BaltasarEngonga]

Fuel Subsidy

BREAKING: Tinubu Government Blasts Atiku Over Plan to Restore Fuel Subsidy

FCMB Access Credentials Deal

EFCC Arraigns Two Over Alleged $15,000 FCMB Access Credentials Deal

Plaude Scam

Zacuten Raises Alarm Over Alleged $4.2m Plaude Scam, Other Multi-Million-Dollar Fraud

FG ₦50m Loan to Build

How To Apply For FG ₦50m Loan to Build, Buy House at 6% Interest

Canada

Canada Invites 1,000 Express Entry Candidates to Apply for Permanent Residence

Sex Tape

President 50-Year Old Daughter’s Sex Tape Breaks The Internet (WATCH HERE)

Latest Stories

Plaude Scam

Zacuten Raises Alarm Over Alleged $4.2m Plaude Scam, Other Multi-Million-Dollar Fraud

Women with Larger Breasts

Study Links Hunger, Financial Insecurity to Men’s Preference for Women with Larger Breasts

House of Reps Aspirant Olalekan Shogbesan

US-Based Jeweller Accuses House of Reps Aspirant Olalekan Shogbesan of Owing $5,200

Brookfield CEO Olatunji Adebola

EFCC Arraigns Brookfield CEO Olatunji Adebola Over Alleged ₦990m Forex Fraud

IKEDC

Blackout: Lagos Residents Cry Out as IKEDC Areas Remain Without Power for Days

UK

UK Warns Citizens Against Travel to Abuja, 30 Nigerian States (FULL LIST)

Fuel Subsidy

BREAKING: Tinubu Government Blasts Atiku Over Plan to Restore Fuel Subsidy

Atiku

“How I Saved Obasanjo From Alleged Death Plot in Prison” – Atiku

FCMB Access Credentials Deal

EFCC Arraigns Two Over Alleged $15,000 FCMB Access Credentials Deal

NELFUND Student Loans

Tinubu Directs EFCC Recoveries, Unclaimed Dividends to Fund NELFUND Student Loans

NewsOnline 2026

Get the Latest Naija News, Breaking News, Top Stories, World News, Business, Politics & Entertainment from NewsOnline Nigeria.

RELEVANT PAGES

  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

ALERT US

Important Press Releases, Special Investigations: admin@newsonlineng.com

OFFICE ADDRESS

13 Poland Street, London, United Kingdom (UK)

Copyright © 2026 NewsOnline Nigeria

No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports

Copyright © 2023 Newsonline Nigeria