ADVERTISEMENT
  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Friday, August 21, 2026
NewsOnline Nigeria
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
NewsOnline Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
ADVERTISEMENT
Home Top Stories

Access Holdings Names Innocent Ike New GMD/CEO Amid Boardroom Tension

Ike succeeds Bolaji Agbede, who has served as Acting GMD/CEO for the past 18 months and will now revert to her position as Executive Director, Business Support, in compliance with regulatory requirements on experience for the top role.

by NewsOnline Nigeria
August 28, 2025
in Top Stories
0
Innocent Ike

Access Holdings has named Innocent Ike as its new GMD/CEO amid rumoured boardroom tension.

 

NewsOnline Nigeria reports that Access Holdings Plc has appointed Innocent Ike as its new Group Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer, effective August 29, 2025, following regulatory approval.

The announcement comes in the wake of the sudden resignation of Roosevelt Ogbonna from the company’s board earlier this week, a move that has fuelled speculation of boardroom tensions within Nigeria’s largest banking group.

ALSO: Amaechi Declares 2027 Presidential Ambition Under ADC, Vows Not to Step Down For Atiku, Obi

 

In a statement signed by Company Secretary Sunday Ekwochi, the HoldCo said Ike’s appointment marks “a new chapter” under the leadership of Chairman Aigboje Aig-Imoukhuede, who returned to head the group following the death of former Group CEO Herbert Wigwe in 2024.

Ike, a banking veteran with over 30 years’ experience, succeeds Bolaji Agbede, who has led the company in an acting capacity for 18 months. Agbede will revert to her role as Executive Director, Business Support, in line with regulatory guidelines.

Agbede has been widely commended for steering the group through a turbulent period, maintaining workforce stability, overseeing a successful ₦351 billion rights issue, and coordinating two annual general meetings.

The Boardroom Tension

Ogbonna, who remains Managing Director/CEO of Access Bank Plc, resigned from the Access Holdings board on August 27 to comply with the Central Bank of Nigeria’s 2023 Corporate Governance Guidelines, which restrict HoldCo boards to a maximum of nine members.

While the company attributed his departure strictly to regulatory compliance, industry observers point to a possible power struggle between Chairman Aig-Imoukhuede and Ogbonna, given Access Bank’s dominance within the group, contributing over 90% of its profits and assets. Critics argue that excluding the bank’s CEO from the HoldCo board reflects a consolidation of control.

However, senior insiders dismissed such claims, stressing that leadership changes were “natural” under a returning co-founder and part of broader efforts to strengthen governance.

Ike’s Credentials

Ike is a graduate of accounting from the University of Lagos, a Fellow of both the Chartered Institute of Bankers of Nigeria (CIBN) and the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN), and a certified IFRS expert.

He previously served as MD/CEO of Polaris Bank (2020–2022), where he launched the award-winning VULTe digital banking platform, and spent a decade at Access Bank overseeing corporate, commercial, and public sector portfolios.

Speaking on his appointment, Ike said:

“I am honoured to take on this role and excited to work alongside the talented team at Access Holdings. I look forward to building on the strong legacies of Herbert Wigwe and Bolaji Agbede, and to delivering exceptional value to shareholders and stakeholders.”

What Next?

With Ike’s confirmation and Ogbonna’s exit from the HoldCo board, analysts say Access Holdings is entering a period of leadership consolidation. The coming months may determine whether the group’s governance dynamics remain stable or whether speculation of deeper rifts proves accurate.

Previous Post

Amaechi Declares 2027 Presidential Ambition Under ADC, Vows Not to Step Down For Atiku, Obi

Next Post

Zoho Unveils Proprietary Zia LLM, Expands AI Suite with Agents and Studio Tools

Next Post
Zoho

Zoho Unveils Proprietary Zia LLM, Expands AI Suite with Agents and Studio Tools

Trending Stories

Innocent Ike

Access Holdings Names Innocent Ike New GMD/CEO Amid Boardroom Tension

IKEDC

Blackout: Lagos Residents Cry Out as IKEDC Areas Remain Without Power for Days

Baltasar Engonga Wife Video Knacking Another Man

Watch Full Baltasar Engonga Wife Video Knacking Another Man [#BaltasarEngonga]

FCMB Access Credentials Deal

EFCC Arraigns Two Over Alleged $15,000 FCMB Access Credentials Deal

FG ₦50m Loan to Build

How To Apply For FG ₦50m Loan to Build, Buy House at 6% Interest

Canada

Canada Invites 1,000 Express Entry Candidates to Apply for Permanent Residence

Fuel Subsidy

BREAKING: Tinubu Government Blasts Atiku Over Plan to Restore Fuel Subsidy

Sex Tape

President 50-Year Old Daughter’s Sex Tape Breaks The Internet (WATCH HERE)

Atiku

“How I Saved Obasanjo From Alleged Death Plot in Prison” – Atiku

South Africa

BREAKING: FG Orders South Africa to End Xenophobic Attacks Against Nigerians

Latest Stories

Women with Larger Breasts

Study Links Hunger, Financial Insecurity to Men’s Preference for Women with Larger Breasts

House of Reps Aspirant Olalekan Shogbesan

US-Based Jeweller Accuses House of Reps Aspirant Olalekan Shogbesan of Owing $5,200

Brookfield CEO Olatunji Adebola

EFCC Arraigns Brookfield CEO Olatunji Adebola Over Alleged ₦990m Forex Fraud

IKEDC

Blackout: Lagos Residents Cry Out as IKEDC Areas Remain Without Power for Days

UK

UK Warns Citizens Against Travel to Abuja, 30 Nigerian States (FULL LIST)

Fuel Subsidy

BREAKING: Tinubu Government Blasts Atiku Over Plan to Restore Fuel Subsidy

Atiku

“How I Saved Obasanjo From Alleged Death Plot in Prison” – Atiku

FCMB Access Credentials Deal

EFCC Arraigns Two Over Alleged $15,000 FCMB Access Credentials Deal

NELFUND Student Loans

Tinubu Directs EFCC Recoveries, Unclaimed Dividends to Fund NELFUND Student Loans

Onaiyekan

Onaiyekan Defies Presidency, Says ‘I’m Not Afraid of Anybody’ Over Tinubu Meeting Remarks

NewsOnline 2026

Get the Latest Naija News, Breaking News, Top Stories, World News, Business, Politics & Entertainment from NewsOnline Nigeria.

RELEVANT PAGES

  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

ALERT US

Important Press Releases, Special Investigations: admin@newsonlineng.com

OFFICE ADDRESS

13 Poland Street, London, United Kingdom (UK)

Copyright © 2026 NewsOnline Nigeria

No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports

Copyright © 2023 Newsonline Nigeria