• About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
NewsOnline Nigeria
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
NewsOnline Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Home Crime Watch

BREAKING: Labour Congress Protesters Pull Down Gate, Invade NASS Complex

members of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and Trade Union Congress (TUC) are currently holding a nationwide protest against what they said is the “anti-people” policies of President Bola Tinubu.

by NewsOnline Nigeria
August 2, 2023
in Crime Watch, Headline
0
Labour Congress Protesters

Labour Congress Protesters have pulled down the gate and invaded the NASS Complex.

 

Newsonline Nigeria reports that pandemonium, on Wednesday morning, erupted at the first gate of the National Assembly (NASS) complex, as members of labour unions protesting the removal of fuel subsidy by the federal government broke down the gate and forced their way into the premises.

 

This Nigeria News platform understands that the members of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and Trade Union Congress (TUC) are currently holding a nationwide protest against what they said is the “anti-people” policies of President Bola Tinubu.

Protesters Pull Down National Assembly Gate

Angry protesters of the Nigerian Labour Congress, on Wednesday, pulled down the gates of the National Assembly in Abuja.

The protesters led by the leaders of the Organised Labour, Joe Ajaero of the Nigeria Labour Congress and Festus… pic.twitter.com/lrDWiOOVpU

— Punch Newspapers (@MobilePunch) August 2, 2023

 

 

The protesters, after forcing their way into the National Assembly complex through the first gate, subsequently moved to the second gate of the Assembly Complex even as Senators immediately entered a closed-door session.

 

The NLC and the TUC, as well as their affiliate unions had kicked off a protest in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja, and other states of the Federation including Lagos, Abia, Plateau, Kaduna, Kano, Rivers, Zamfara, Katsina, Cross River, Ebonyi, Enugu, Kwara, Ogun, Imo, Ondo, and Edo.

 

The protesters in their hundreds convened at the Unity Fountain from where they marched to the NASS Complex.

Senate President Godswill Akpabio is expected to address the protesters ahead of today’s screening of ministerial nominees.

 

 

Earlier, the NLC President, Joe Ajaero, told Channels Television at the Unity Fountain that there is “nothing stopping the protest, not even an overture from the government”.

 

He said that Organised Labour won’t shelve the protest until there is a desired response from the government.

Ajaero said the response from the states will determine “whether the protest will be from today, or tomorrow or next or till thy kingdom come, it is not by using force”.

 

“We are here for the protest and to make a statement that since we started the negotiation, there is nothing we have in our hands,” he said.

Meanwhile, the Inspector General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, on Tuesday, warned against “violent mass protests” across the country.

 

 

Tinubu had removed subsidy on petrol during his epic inauguration speech on May 29, 2023, with a litre of petrol jumping from N184 to over N620 and food prices and general inflation galloping at an unprecedented rate.

 

Last week, the NLC issued a seven-day ultimatum to the Federal Government and demanded “the immediate reversal of all anti-poor policies of the federal government including the recent hike in PMS (Premium Motor Spirit) price, increase in public school fees, the release of the eight months withheld salary of university lecturers and workers”.

 

The union also demanded an upward review of the minimum wage from N30,000 to N200,000, saying that since the President’s “subsidy is gone” inauguration speech of May 29, 2023, the peace of mind of Nigerians has gone.

 

 

Several meetings between the Presidency and the unions on palliatives for Nigerians suffering hardship in the wake of the petrol subsidy removal proved abortive.

 

Also, the intervention of the Senate and the House of Representatives achieved no success as the unions insisted that the government’s palliatives package was out of touch with the economic realities that Nigerians face.

In a last-minute move to placate the aggrieved unions, Tinubu, in a broadcast to Nigerians on Monday night, promised to review workers’ salaries and minimum wage.

 

He also announced an N75 billion palliative for the manufacturing sector, saying 75 businesses would benefit within a nine-month period spanning the third quarter of 2023 to the first quarter of next year. Tinubu went on to declare an N125 billion fund to energise “this very important sector”.

 

According to him, provision has been made “to invest N100 billion between now and March 2024 to acquire 3000 units of 20-seater CNG-fuelled buses”.

 

However, the NLC immediately faulted the palliative measures announced by the President to cushion the biting effect of petrol subsidy removal on Nigerians, saying the programmes to be rolled out by the All Progressives Congress (APC) government are totally out of touch with economic realities and hardship currently being faced by poor citizens.

 

The union said, “The promises and assurances made by President Tinubu are not the silver bullet that Nigerians expected”.

Previous Post

Subsidy Removal: Beyond Tinubu, Kyari’s Personal Interests

Next Post

BREAKING: Police Begin Show Of Force In Abuja As NLC Protests Escalate

Next Post
NLC Protests

BREAKING: Police Begin Show Of Force In Abuja As NLC Protests Escalate

Trending Stories

No Content Available

Latest Stories

President Tinubu

BREAKING: Tinubu Calls for Africa-Owned Credit Rating Agency in Financial Times Op-Ed

President Tinubu

President Tinubu Vows to Sustain Economic Reforms, Praises Fintiri’s Infrastructure Projects

US Treasury

US Treasury Freezes Assets of Eight Nigerians Over Alleged Boko Haram, ISIL Links

N1.50tn 2026 Budget for Nigerian Army

NASS Approves N1.50tn 2026 Budget for Nigerian Army, Vows Timely Fund Release

Nasir El-Rufai

FG Files Cybercrime Charges Against Nasir El-Rufai Over Alleged Interception of NSA Nuhu Ribadu’s Phone Calls

National Assembly

National Assembly Reconvenes, Considers Shifting 2027 Presidential Election Date to Feb 13

Peter Obi

Peter Obi Insists Votes Must Count in 2027 Elections, Warns Against Electoral Rigging

US Military Aircraft

BREAKING: US Military Aircraft Drops Ammo in Borno, Other Northeastern States

El-Rufai

El-Rufai Demands Clarification from NSA Over Alleged Thallium Sulphate Procurement

El-Rufai

El-Rufai Alleges Uba Sani, Nuhu Ribadu Plotted His ‘Abduction’ Over DSS Airport Incident

NewsOnline Nigeria

Get the Latest Naija News, Breaking News, Top Stories, World News, Business, Politics & Entertainment from NewsOnline Nigeria.

RELEVANT PAGES

  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

ALERT US

Important Press Releases, Special Investigations: [email protected]

OFFICE ADDRESS

13 Poland Street, London, United Kingdom (UK)

Copyright © 2026 NewsOnline Nigeria

No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports

Copyright © 2023 Newsonline Nigeria