Headline

BREAKING: Hoodlums Set INEC Office On Fire

Hoodlums have set INEC Office on fire in Enugu state.

 

 

Newsonline reports that some arsonists on Sunday burnt down an office of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) located in Awgu Local Government Area of Enugu State.

 

The incident has been confirmed in a statement by the INEC National Commissioner and Chairman, Information and Voter Education Committee, Festus Okoye.

 

Okoye confirmed that the fire caused extensive damage to the store section where election materials are kept but no life was lost and the movable election materials had been removed from the store before the fire incident.

He said the Resident Electoral Commissioner for Enugu State, Mr Emeka Ononamadu reported the incident and the quick intervention of a joint team of security agents saved the facility from further damage.

 

Okoye said in the statement: “Our Resident Electoral Commissioner for Enugu State, Mr Emeka Ononamadu, reported an attack on the INEC office in Awgu Local Government Area of the State. The building was set ablaze this morning, Sunday 19th September 2021, resulting in extensive damage to mainly the store section where election materials are kept.

“Fortunately, all movable election materials had been evacuated following recent attacks on our offices in the state. There are no casualties in the incident.

“The identity or motives of attackers are unknown while the incident has been reported to the Nigeria Police Force for investigation.

“This unfortunate incident is the first since the last attack on our facilities four months ago in May 2021.”

He added that, “The prompt response of the security agencies comprising the Nigeria Police Force, the Nigerian Army, the Department of State Services (DSS) and the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) as well the Enugu State Fire Service and the Awgu Local Government Neighbourhood Watch.”

Meanwhile, gunmen have attacked a security post in Onitsha, Anambra.

The assailants killed three policemen and injured two others on Sunday, September 19. The shooting occurred at a security post along Ukaegu/Ezeiweka road.

The gunmen also set the police vehicle on fire before leaving the crime scene.

This is one of the many attacks that have been launched against the police and security personnel in recent times.

NewsOnline Nigeria

Recent Posts

  • Profiles & Biographies

Ayobami Celebrates Tokunbo Wahab at 54 for Leadership, Mentorship and Public Service Impact

Ayobami has celebrated Tokunbo Wahab at 54 for Leadership, Mentorship and Public Service Impact.  …

1 day ago
  • Brands & Marketing

Union Bank Marks 2026 International Day of the Boy Child with School Outreach in Lagos

Union Bank has marked 2026 International Day of the Boy Child with School Outreach in…

2 days ago
  • Brands & Marketing

Sterling Financial Deepens Market Confidence as Assets Cross ₦4tn, Profit Jumps 53% in Q1 2026

Sterling Financial has deepened market confidence as assets cross ₦4tn and profit jumped 53% in…

2 days ago
  • Politics
  • Top Stories

Tinubu Presidency Knocks Peter Obi Over Rwanda Trip Comments, Says Diplomacy Not ‘Reality TV’

Tinubu Presidency has knocked Peter Obi over Rwanda trip comments.   NewsOnline Nigeria reports that…

2 days ago
  • Top Stories
  • World

Tinubu Confirms Killing of Top ISIS Leader Abu-Bilal Al-Manuki in Joint Nigeria-US Military Operation

President Tinubu has confirmed the killing of top ISIS Leader Abu-Bilal Al-Manuki in joint Nigeria-US…

2 days ago
  • Headline

APC Releases Full List of ‘Not Cleared’ House of Reps Aspirants Ahead of 2027 Primaries

APC has released full list of ‘not cleared’ House of Reps aspirants ahead of 2027…

2 days ago