Headline

BREAKING: Kenya Confirms Nnamdi Kanu Didn’t Undergo Extradition

Kenya Government has reportedly confirmed that Nnamdi Kanu did not undergo an extradition procedure.

 

 

Newsonline reports that Kingsley Kanunta Kanu, brother to the leader of proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, on Thursday claimed that Kenya has confirmed in Court that his sibling did not undergo extradition proceedings in the East African nation.

 

BREAKING: FG Announces Commencement Of N-Knowledge Programme

 

 

Kanunta Kanu made this known in a statement he signed, which was shared by top lawyer, Barrister Aloy Ejimakor.

Recalls that Ejimakor, a Special Counsel to Nnamdi Kanu, had always maintained that his client was “abducted” in Kenya before being brought to Nigeria in June.

 

Ejimakor argued that since Kanu is a British citizen and entered Kenya with his British passport, he ought not to have been brought to Nigeria for any reason without valid court orders for his extradition.

 

He said that Kanu’s fundamental human rights were grossly violated by those who masterminded his “rendition” to Nigeria, accusing the Kenyan Government of culpability.

 

BREAKING: Heavy Tension In Lagos As Police Clash With Tricyle Riders (VIDEO)

 

He maintained that it was against international laws to illegally arrest somebody on foreign land, an act that amounts to “abduction”.

 

According to Ejimakor, Kanu cannot be lawfully prosecuted by the federal government of Nigeria unless the issue of his extra-ordinary rendition is first discharged, and if he is to stand trial in Nigeria, he will first be returned to Kenya and Britain where he resides before Nigeria will apply for his extradition in a British court.

 

Now, in seeking freedom for Nnamdi Kanu, Kanunta Kanu claims that the Kenyan government filed its suit in respect of the separatist leader’s matter on Tuesday, and part of their defence was that ‘there are no extradition proceedings to justify that it is responsible for Nnamdi Kanu’s extradition’.

 

The press statement from Nnamdi Kanu’s defence team reads in part: “On 2nd November 2021, the Government of Kenya filed its defense to the suit I had earlier filed in Kenya on behalf of my brother, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu.

 

“It will be recalled that following my brother’s extraordinary rendition in June this year, the Kenyan Government had publicly issued series of statements, denying its complicity in this abominable act.

 

“In the said defense that it filed in Court, Kenya has not only persisted in its denials, but it went further to confirm that my brother was denied the benefit of the due process of extradition in Kenya or even a lawful arrest.

 

“In particular, the defense the Kenyan Government filed in court stated in major part “That there are no extradition proceedings to justify that the Government of Kenya is responsible for the subject’s extradition”.

The statement added: “It further stated “That there is no OB record from any of the Police station within the Country to indicate that the subject in issue was lawfully arrested and detained for purposes of commencing extradition proceedings”.

“It needs to be emphasized that above admissions have officially confirmed our long-held position that Mazi Nnamdi Kanu’s transfer from Kenya to Nigeria is unlawful, not lawful as was claimed by the Nigerian Government.

“This latest revelation, officially made in open Court by Kenya, further solidifies our abiding position that the Nigerian Government cannot benefit from its own wrong by subjecting my brother to trial.

“As the the next hearing date unfolds to 7th December 2021, more legal processes will be in view. Our immediate goal is to secure the unconditional release of Mazi Nnamdi Kanu from detention.”

NewsOnline Nigeria

Recent Posts

  • Featured
  • Health

Hantavirus Update Today — Latest Cases, Death Toll & Global Tracking

Hantavirus updates today, new cases, confirmed deaths, symptoms, affected countries, cruise ship outbreak developments, and…

8 hours ago
  • 2027 Election
  • Headline

BREAKING: Fubara Forced Out of Rivers APC Governorship Primary Amid Supremacy Battle With Wike

Fubara has reportedly been forced out of Rivers APC Governorship Primary amid supremacy battle with…

9 hours ago
  • Headline
  • Politics

BREAKING: Adewole Adebayo, 12 Others Expelled From Social Democratic Party (FULL LIST)

Adewole Adebayo among 12 others have been expelled from Social Democratic Party.   NewsOnline Nigeria…

9 hours ago
  • 2027 Election
  • Headline

BREAKING: Tonye Cole Withdraws From Rivers APC Governorship Primary Race

Tonye Cole has withdrawn from Rivers APC Governorship Primary race.   NewsOnline Nigeria reports that…

10 hours ago
  • 2027 Election
  • Headline

BREAKING: Jonathan, AGF Move to Strike Out Suit Challenging 2027 Election Eligibility

Jonathan and AGF have moved to strike out suit challenging his 2027 election eligibility.  …

3 days ago
  • Top Stories

Impact Investors Foundation Unveils GESI Baseline Report at 4th Gender Impact Investment Summit in Lagos

Impact Investors Foundation has unveiled GESI Baseline Report at 4th Gender Impact Investment Summit in…

3 days ago