2023 Elections

BREAKING: Tribunal Dismisses First Petition Filed Against Tinubu’s Victory

the five-member panel of the court led by Haruna Tsammani dismissed the case after the petitioner’s lawyer announced its withdrawal.

Presidential Election Petition Tribunal has dismissed the first petition filed against Tinubu’s victory.

 

NewsOnline reports that the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal sitting in Abuja on Monday dismissed one of the five petitions challenging the victory of Bola Tinubu in the 25 February poll.

 

This online newspaper understands that the five-member panel of the court led by Haruna Tsammani dismissed the case after the petitioner’s lawyer announced its withdrawal.

 

ALSO: APC Plotting To Influence Presidential Election Tribunal — PDP

 

It was the first among the five petitions received by the court to be called for hearing.

 

The court earlier held its inaugural sitting during which it assured all litigants that it would do justice to all parties to the case pending before it.

Lawyers, in response, gave their commitment to cooperate with the court.

The panel members went on a short break after the ceremonial opening of the court and retuned to begin hearing AA’s case.

 

A confusion about the legal representative of the party ensued when the party’s case was called.

Oba Maduabuchi, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, first announced appearance for the AA party. Another lawyer, Malachi Umuebe, also announced appearance for the party.

Mr Maduabuchi insisted that he was the party’s lawyer.

 

The court discountenanced Mr Umuebe since he was not the one who filed the petition before the court.

Shortly after the court recognised Mr Maduabuchi, the lawyer announced the withdrawal of the case.

The respondents’ lawyers – Wole Olanipekun, SAN, representing Mr Tinubu, and Abubakar Mahmoud, SAN, representing the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), said they had no objection against the application for the withdrawal of the petition.

The court then dismissed the petition.

But the Action Alliance has urged the court to nullify the polls owing to alleged refusal of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to upload the name of its actual presidential candidate – Solomon-David Okanigbuan – to its portal for the February poll.

 

The National Chairman of Action Alliance, Adekunle Omo-Aje, had said in January that Hamza Al-Mustapha, recognised by INEC was not the authentic presidential candidate of the party.

 

He spoke against the background of the leadership tussle rocking his party, which gave rise to the emergence of two presidential candidates.

NewsOnline Nigeria

Recent Posts

  • Brands & Marketing
  • Featured
  • Tech

Google Unveils Gemini-Powered AI Advertising, Commerce Tools at Marketing Live 2026

Google has unveiled Gemini-Powered AI Advertising and Commerce Tools at Marketing Live 2026.   NewsOnline…

4 hours ago
  • Brands & Marketing
  • Tech

Beyond the vibe: Bridging Africa’s Build Divide with Intelligent Infrastructure

Africa has always found its own way around barriers. When fixed-line banking proved too slow…

4 hours ago
  • Education
  • Top Stories

JAMB Releases 279 Previously Withheld UTME Results After Malpractice Investigation

JAMB has released 279 previously withheld UTME Results after malpractice investigation.   NewsOnline Nigeria reports…

4 hours ago
  • Education
  • Headline

BREAKING: Tinubu Appoints Professor Segun Aina as New JAMB Registrar

President Tinubu has appointed Professor Segun Aina as New JAMB Registrar.   NewsOnline Nigeria reports…

4 hours ago
  • Featured
  • Health

Hantavirus Update Today — Latest Cases, Death Toll & Global Tracking

Hantavirus updates today, new cases, confirmed deaths, symptoms, affected countries, cruise ship outbreak developments, and…

16 hours ago
  • 2027 Election
  • Headline

BREAKING: Fubara Forced Out of Rivers APC Governorship Primary Amid Supremacy Battle With Wike

Fubara has reportedly been forced out of Rivers APC Governorship Primary amid supremacy battle with…

17 hours ago