
President Tinubu
NewsOnline Nigeria reports that President Bola Tinubu Federal Government has postponed indefinitely the launch of the Student Loan Scheme earlier set to take place on Thursday.
This was made known by Akintunde Sawyer, the Executive Secretary of the Nigerian Education Loan Fund (NELFUND), in an interview with Arise News on Tuesday.
Sawyer said that the launch had been postponed as there are some corrections that are being made around the launch itself.
He, however, did not give a new date for the launch.
“Unfortunately, I won’t be able to commit to a specific date. We are sort of waiting to ensure that all the stakeholders are aligned to make sure that nobody is blindsided, then we can actually roll this out in a meaningful, comprehensive, wholesome and sustainable way.
“One thing that I will commit to is that this is a well-intended project. The president, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu means well around this and absolutely wants this rolled out as fast as possible, and we’re working very hard to help realise that,” Sawyer said.
NewsOnline Nigeria recalls that President Bola Tinubu had on June 12, 2023, signed into law the Access to Higher Education Act, 2023, marking a significant step forward in the provision of interest-free loans for underprivileged students in Nigerian tertiary institutions.
Tinubu’s minister, Dele Alake, who was a member of the then Presidential Strategy Team, said the move was made in fulfilment of one of Tinubu’s campaign promises to liberalize funding for education.
The Loan Scheme was initially slated to take effect in September, but the implementation was delayed.
Nonetheless, Tinubu remained resolute, asserting that the program would be launched in January 2024.
The presidency then eventually announced that the scheme will be introduced on Thursday, the 14th of March, which has now been postponed.
Google has unveiled Gemini-Powered AI Advertising and Commerce Tools at Marketing Live 2026. NewsOnline…
Africa has always found its own way around barriers. When fixed-line banking proved too slow…
JAMB has released 279 previously withheld UTME Results after malpractice investigation. NewsOnline Nigeria reports…
President Tinubu has appointed Professor Segun Aina as New JAMB Registrar. NewsOnline Nigeria reports…
Hantavirus updates today, new cases, confirmed deaths, symptoms, affected countries, cruise ship outbreak developments, and…
Fubara has reportedly been forced out of Rivers APC Governorship Primary amid supremacy battle with…