ADVERTISEMENT
  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Saturday, August 30, 2025
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
ADVERTISEMENT
Home 2023 Elections

Governor Soludo, Peter Obi Test Might In Anambra State Assembly Election

He called on Anambra people to ignore Obi’s calls and vote massively for APGA, so that Soludo’s developmental strides in the state will continue.

by NewsOnline Nigeria
March 16, 2023
in 2023 Elections, Headline
0
Anambra State Assembly Election

Governor Soludo and Peter Obi would test might in Anambra State Assembly Election.

 

NewsOnline reports that the March 18, House of Assembly election in Anambra State has pitted former Anambra State governor and Presidential candidate of Labour Party, Mr Peter Obi, and the incumbent governor, Prof Chukwuma Soludo.

 

Though Prof Soludo did not give Obi any chance in the presidential election as he had predicted that only the candidates of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP and the All Progressives Congress, APC, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar and Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, respectively, were in the race, the outcome of the election must have shocked him.

 

ALSO: CBN Issues Phone Number to Report PoS Operators Charging High Rate

 

Soludo had predicted that Obi may win Anambra State as a ‘homeboy’, but would not win up to three states. But in the released results, which are still being contested as being heavily rigged, Obi won same 12 states like all of the other two top contenders. In Anambra State, Obi also swept about 97 percent of the entire votes cast, leaving doubt about what may happen on Saturday, March 18.

 

This has caused panic in the camp of the All Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA, where Soludo is the national leader of the party.

 

In a video that went viral last week, Soludo was seen addressing his constituents in Igboukwu, Aguata Local Government Area.

 

He told them that lawmakers don’t construct roads or build hospitals.

“That is my work. The most important positions in the state are Governor and Deputy governor, and once these two get in, the door will shut. That is why you need to elect someone from our party, so that he can always remind me of the infrastructure in your area.

 

“If you vote for anyone else, the person will stay on the corridor while we make plans for the state, and we will only pay them their salaries, they will not get other pecks of office,” Soludo had threatened.

In another fora, the governor was quoted as saying that having members of the House of Assembly from other political parties will derail his job and hinder development in the state.

 

Meanwhile, the Labour Party is not relenting in their bid to sweep the 30 seats in the Anambra State House of Assembly. Senator Victor Umeh, a Senator-elect on the platform of Labour Party, in a radio programme last week, lashed out at the governor, stating that he had no reason to fear impeachments if he does the right things.

Umeh also accused the governor of looking for a rubber stamp Assembly that he can control, while urging the people to ignore him and vote only Labour Party candidates in the election.

 

On the other hand, Mr Peter Obi who needs to show his dominance in the state by replicating his victory at the presidential election in the House of Assembly race, is also not relenting. Last weekend, Obi held a closed door meeting with all Labour Party House of Assembly candidates in Anambra. During the meeting, Obi charged them to victory, while urging Anambra voters to vote for LP candidates only.

 

In his interview with journalists, Obi said there was no need for Soludo to be afraid of working with LP lawmakers. He said there was no plot to use LP lawmakers to impeach him, but he only needed to do the right thing at all times.

Obi charged the candidates to work with Soludo after victory, while adding that what was paramount to Anambra people is development.

“If we have good schools, good hospitals, that is my concern, and we know that LP candidates are the most competent. So I charge the people to vote for LP candidates only,” he said.

 

Reacting to this, the Press Secretary to the governor, Mr Christian Aburime said:

“That call was meant to deceive Anambra people. Obi cannot be talking about development in Anambra and also be talking about asking Anambra people to elect lawmakers from the opposition party to work with Soludo.

 

“He worked with a legislature that was dominated by lawmakers from the PDP, when he first came in as governor, and he knows that it was not easy for him. He even suffered impeachment because of that, and we hope it is not the same thing he wants to set Soludo up for.”

 

He called on Anambra people to ignore Obi’s calls and vote massively for APGA, so that Soludo’s developmental strides in the state will continue.

DAILY POST reports that there is apprehension in the state, especially within the government circle, which believe that a majority seat for the Labour Party in the state may spell doom for the government in power.

ADVERTISEMENT
Previous Post

portal.jamb.gov.ng – JAMB E-Facility Portal Login Result

Next Post

Presidential Polls: Atiku, Obi Move To Replicate Kenya, Malawian Rare Judgements

Next Post

Presidential Polls: Atiku, Obi Move To Replicate Kenya, Malawian Rare Judgements

Trending Stories

El-Rufai Rules Out 2027 Presidential Bid Under ADC, Names Candidate To Support

BREAKING: FG Approves Lifetime Salary Benefits for Retiring Service Chiefs

BREAKING: NNPCL GCEO Bayo Ojulari Raises Alarm Over Threats to Life, Management Team

Balthazar Video Telegram: Watch All 400 Balthazar Engonga Sex Tapes Here

BREAKING: Nigeria Immigration Service Hikes Passport Application Fees

Rapper Falz Announces Engagement, Shares Pre-Wedding Photos

Governor Soludo, Peter Obi Test Might In Anambra State Assembly Election

Amaechi Declares 2027 Presidential Ambition Under ADC, Vows Not to Step Down For Atiku, Obi

Access Holdings Names Innocent Ike New GMD/CEO Amid Boardroom Tension

BREAKING: PDP Names Jonathan, Peter Obi Among 2027 Presidential Contenders

Latest Stories

BREAKING: PDP Names Jonathan, Peter Obi Among 2027 Presidential Contenders

BREAKING: FG Approves Lifetime Salary Benefits for Retiring Service Chiefs

NNPC Under Attack, But Transformation Will Continue – GCEO Ojulari

FG Denies Signing 2009 Draft Agreement Document With ASUU

NNPC CEO Bayo Ojulari Confirms ₦500m Monthly Losses in Non-Functional Refineries

Rapper Falz Announces Engagement, Shares Pre-Wedding Photos

Peter Obi Condemns Hike in International Passport Fees

Access Holdings Names Innocent Ike as Group CEO, Bolaji Agbede Reverts to Executive Director Role

Zoho Unveils Proprietary Zia LLM, Expands AI Suite with Agents and Studio Tools

Access Holdings Names Innocent Ike New GMD/CEO Amid Boardroom Tension

ADVERTISEMENT

NEWSONLINE NIGERIA

Get the Latest Naija News, Breaking News, Top Stories, World News, Business, Politics & Entertainment from NewsOnline Nigeria.

RELEVANT PAGES

  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

ALERT US

Important Press Releases, Special Investigations: admin@newsonlineng.com

OFFICE ADDRESS

13 Poland Street, London, United Kingdom (UK)

Copyright © 2025 NewsOnline Nigeria

No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports

Copyright © 2023 Newsonline Nigeria

Exit mobile version