• About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Home Headline

BREAKING: Sowore, Retired Police Officers Storm Abuja in Protest Over Welfare, Pension Scheme

the protest would go on as planned, accusing the government and police authorities of longstanding injustice against their own personnel.

by NewsOnline Nigeria
July 21, 2025
in Headline
0
Sowore

Sowore and Retired Police Officers have stormed Abuja in protest over welfare and pension scheme.

NewsOnline Nigeria reports that Presidential candidate of the African Action Congress (AAC) in the 2023 elections, Omoyele Sowore, alongside other activists and hundreds of retired police officers, has taken to the streets of Abuja today, Monday, in coordinated protests demanding improved welfare for serving police personnel and the immediate removal of retirees from the Contributory Pension Scheme.

The protests are taking place simultaneously at the National Assembly Complex and the Force Headquarters, where members of the Nigerian Union of Retired Police Officers have converged to express their frustration over what they describe as a “discriminatory pension scheme.” The retired officers accused the federal government of turning a deaf ear to their plight, despite repeated appeals over the years.

ALSO: ADC Speaks Peter Obi, El-Rufai’s Membership Delay Amid 2027 Political Shake-Up

Chairman of the union, Mannir M. Lawal, confirmed in a telephone interview that representatives from all 36 states are currently in the capital for what he described as the “mother of all peaceful protests.” He insisted nothing would stop the demonstration and disclosed that the union had already briefed the FCT Commissioner of Police.

“Our only demand is simple, remove us from the Contributory Pension Scheme and refund all our contributions. We’ve had enough,” Lawal declared.

Despite reports suggesting that Sowore’s involvement was part of a larger ploy to undermine the Inspector General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, Lawal distanced the union from the activist’s protest, claiming they learned of his plans via social media.

Meanwhile, NewsOnline Nigeria reports that the Nigeria Police Force on Sunday raised alarm over what it termed a deliberate politicisation of police welfare issues, accusing certain individuals of exploiting the grievances of retired officers for personal and political gain. Force spokesperson Olumuyiwa Adejobi, in a strongly worded statement, warned against what he described as attempts to twist facts and inflame public sentiment.

“It is unfortunate that legitimate concerns are being weaponized by individuals whose intent is disruption, not reform,” the police said, while reaffirming their commitment to improving officer welfare.

In a move that raised further tensions, a leaked internal memo directed officers in the FCT to remain in their barracks “until further notice,” suggesting fears of possible escalation.

Sowore, however, remains undeterred. Speaking to DAILY POST, he maintained that the protest would go on as planned, accusing the government and police authorities of longstanding injustice against their own personnel.

“You humiliate them in service and in retirement,” Sowore said via his social media handles. “Now you scramble, issue statements, lock officers in barracks, and spin narratives to cover up decades of neglect.”

As the protest gains momentum, the Police Community Relations Committee has appealed for calm, urging the aggrieved retirees to return to the negotiation table rather than allow the situation to be used to discredit the IGP or destabilize the force.

Previous Post

ADC Speaks Peter Obi, El-Rufai’s Membership Delay Amid 2027 Political Shake-Up

Next Post

FG Reopens 2025 Paramilitary Recruitment Portal (APPLY NOW)

Next Post

FG Reopens 2025 Paramilitary Recruitment Portal (APPLY NOW)

Trending Stories

No Content Available

Latest Stories

GTBank Launches Quick Airtime Loan at 2.95% via *737#, Offering Instant Airtime Credit Up to ₦10,000

“Nigeria Is Bleeding Under the Weight of Electoral Fraud” By Festus Edovia

El-Rufai Detained by EFCC Over N432bn Fraud, Faces Cybercrime Charges for ‘Bugging’ NSA Ribadu’s Phone

Lagos Govt to Deploy Surveillance Drones, Partners Air Force and Police to Boost Security

Jimoh Decorates Newly Promoted ASPs, Urges Professionalism and Service Excellence

65% of Nigerians Want Lower Lending Rates Ahead of CBN MPC Meeting, Survey Shows

UBA Launches Integrated Diaspora Banking and Investment Platform to Boost African Global Capital Flows

Sterling HoldCo Confirms Full Recapitalisation of Sterling Bank, AltBank After CBN Approval

BREAKING: US Civil Rights Leader Reverend Jesse Jackson Is Dead

BREAKING: Tinubu Calls for Africa-Owned Credit Rating Agency in Financial Times Op-Ed

Get the Latest Naija News, Breaking News, Top Stories, World News, Business, Politics & Entertainment from NewsOnline Nigeria.

RELEVANT PAGES

  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

ALERT US

Important Press Releases, Special Investigations: admin@newsonlineng.com

OFFICE ADDRESS

13 Poland Street, London, United Kingdom (UK)

Copyright © 2026 NewsOnline Nigeria

No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports

Copyright © 2023 Newsonline Nigeria

Exit mobile version