• About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Sunday, February 22, 2026
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Home Headline

BREAKING: FG Makes Fresh Declaration On NIBSS, BVN, NIN Databases

The designation means that anyone who attacks any infrastructure listed in the gazette commits an offence and is liable to prosecution.  

by NewsOnline Nigeria
August 24, 2024
in Headline
0
NIN Databases

FG has made a fresh declaration on NIBSS, BVN and NIN databases.

 

NewsOnline Nigeria reports that the federal government has designated the Nigeria Inter-Bank Settlement System (NIBSS), the Bank Verification Number (BVN), and the National Identification Number (NIN) databases as critical national information infrastructure (CNII).

 

This is contained in the ‘Designation and Protection of Critical National Information Infrastructure Order, 2024’, an official gazette recently signed by President Bola Tinubu.

 

The designation means that anyone who attacks any infrastructure listed in the gazette commits an offence and is liable to prosecution.

 

ALSO: Dino Melaye Names Those Destroying PDP (FULL LIST)

In addition, the gazetted document seen by Nairametrics, also listed all other electronic payment gateways in the country and the Treasury Single Account (TSA) database are critical infrastructures that must not be tampered with by anyone.

 

According to the Gazette, the objective of the Presidential Order is to protect and ensure the effective functioning of ICT systems, networks, and infrastructure, which are critical to driving national imperatives, economic development, national security and defence, public health and safety, and government operations.

 

Earlier this week, the Minister of Communications, Innovation, and Digital Economy, Dr. Bosun Tijani, who first announced the release of the gazette, described it as a significant step that would strengthen and protect investments in the ICT sector by reducing incidences capable of damaging the operations and functionality of the country’s technological systems, infrastructure, and networks.

 

Specifically, the Minister was elated by the designation of all telecom infrastructure in the country as CNII, noting that this would help improve the quality of telecom services, which has often been affected by disruption and intentional damage.

 

“This gazette now makes it an offence to wilfully damage assets such as telco towers/sites, switch stations, data centres, satellite infrastructure, submarine & fibre optic cables, transmission equipment, e-government platforms, databases among many others,” he said. 

 

Over the years, stakeholders in the Nigerian ICT sector have been calling on the government to designate telecom infrastructure as a critical national asset to address the persistent attacks on the infrastructure across the country.

 

In March this year, the Chairman of the Association of Licensed Telecommunications Operators of Nigeria, Gbenga Adebayo, reiterated the call as Nigeria suffered an internet outage due to damage to some fibre optic cables.

 

In 2023 alone, MTN Nigeria said it suffered more than 6,000 cuts on its fiber cable. The operator relocated 2,500 kilometers of vulnerable fiber cables between 2022 and 2023, at a cost of more than N11bn —enough to build 870 kilometers of new fiber lines in areas without coverage.

 

Earlier this month, the Chief Executive Officer of Airtel Nigeria, Carl Cruz, while speaking during an industry forum, said the telecom company has been recording an average of 1,000 cases of fibre cuts every month.

Previous Post

BREAKING: Dino Melaye Names Those Destroying PDP (FULL LIST)

Next Post

BREAKING: IPOB Bans South East Youths From Applying For British Army Recruitment

Next Post

BREAKING: IPOB Bans South East Youths From Applying For British Army Recruitment

Trending Stories

No Content Available

Latest Stories

APC Sweeps Five of Six Chairmanship Seats in FCT Area Council Elections (FULL LIST)

Apple Warns iPhone Users as iPhone 6s, SE, Older Models Added to Obsolete List

2027 Politics Heats Up as ‘Village Boys Movement’ Launches in Abuja, Backs Value-Based Leadership

BREAKING: DSS to Arraign El-Rufai Over Alleged Cybercrime, National Security Breach

Zoho Celebrates 30 Years, Reaches One Million Customers and 150 Million Users Worldwide

BREAKING: Tinubu Mounts Pressure On Alex Otti to Join APC, Obi To Step Down

King Charles III Backs Probe of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor After Arrest on 66th Birthday

ICPC Raids Former Governor Nasir El-Rufai’s Residence Amid Detention

BREAKING: Rivers South East Senator Mpigi Barinada Is Dead

BREAKING: Rivers Assembly Suspends Fubara Impeachment After Tinubu’s Intervention

Get the Latest Naija News, Breaking News, Top Stories, World News, Business, Politics & Entertainment from NewsOnline Nigeria.

RELEVANT PAGES

  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

ALERT US

Important Press Releases, Special Investigations: admin@newsonlineng.com

OFFICE ADDRESS

13 Poland Street, London, United Kingdom (UK)

Copyright © 2026 NewsOnline Nigeria

No Result
View All Result
  • Headlines
  • Top Stories
  • Politics
  • Crime Watch
  • Entertainment
  • Sports

Copyright © 2023 Newsonline Nigeria

Exit mobile version